Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The .243 thread made me want to inquire further about ballistic tip bullets. I have had mixed results in both my .243 and my 25/06 with ballistic tip bullets.
We hunt out here on the plains and speed and flat shooting are a must as I have shot deer at everything from 4 feet to 300 yards, mostly 50 to 100 yards.
I quit the ballistic tip a few years ago and shoot nothing but core-lokt.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
My Model 742 .308 loved the balistic tips. shot them very accurately and resulted in quick kills on deer and pigs. However, my Ruger .308 hate the dang things. Won't even hit paper sometimes.

My dad shoots them in his 7 mag and has great accuracy and success with them. If my Ruger would shoot them, i would still be using them. Just my 2 cents

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
I have shot ballistic tips ever since they have been out. I have used them in 25/06 and several different 30 caliber rifles. I love the accuracy, but the last few years Nosler has seemed that they want to price them in the premium bullet category, and ballistic tips are not premium quality bullets.

This year, I have started using the Hornady SST. It is a ballistic tip style bullet, but also has Hornady's interlock ring inside the jacket to help retain the core. I shot some .308 165 grain SST's just yesterday out of my AR10 and had superb results. I have some 180's I am going to be loading up in the 30/06 and 300 Win Mag. 100 SST's are very little more than 50 Ballistic Tips. I think I am going to really like these SST's.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My 300wsm shoots them very well but I don't care for them. A friend shot them in his wife's 25-06 and doesn't like them. No blood whether they dropped in their tracks or if they run a hundred yards. I'm switching to core-lokt. I always had good look with them when I used my Dad's 243.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My wife and son took four deer last year with them (243 using remington 95 gr. accutips) Son uses win.mod 70 wife has rem mod 700. Both rifles love them. I use them in a 243 that I coyote hunt with too. Haven't lost a deer yet.Sometimes the bullet will be just under the hide on the far shoulder so blood trailing is a little hard.That is not a problem since we mostly hunt in large pastures and can watch the deer after it is shot. My wife took this one at 302 yards (measured with rangefinder) last year with them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I shoot the 130 gr ballistic tips in my 270 and they do the trick but they will not shoot through a deer and the deer dont bleed much but they do the trick on transfering energy.
A accubond will shoot through a deer which will make it bleed more. It dont transfer near
the energy the ballistic tip does.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Not good for close-range shots IMHO. I shot 2 bucks a few years ago with 130gr SSTs in my .270 at about 50 and 75 yards - parts of both bullets exited both deer, but I found chunks of copper in all 4 quarters of both deer. Both shots were right behind the front shoulder. I liked the way they shot, but I don't like them so much I'd sacrifice that much meat to use them.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
In all the guns I have shot BT's in, I have gotten superb accuracy. The only deer I shot was a mule deer doe in 7mm-08. She ran in a circle about 20 yards, and dropped. She was about 75 yards away from me. I would use them again, but probably not in my current hunting place. A 50 yard shot there is long. I am using core-lockts now, and thinking maybe shot gun with slugs next year.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Just my opinion, and some of you more experienced shooters can tell me if I'm wrong. But I think the smaller the caliber you are using the further you need to be away with a ballistic tipped bullet. If your shooting anything less than 270 you probably should use a BT bullet unless your shooting more than 200 yards. I lost a really big buck last year with a 35-40 yard shot to the shoulder using a BT 243. I watched the impact of the shot and know I had a high shoulder shot directly above the leg. He jumped about 6' in the air kicked his back legs and ran. There was no blood, no hair anywhere and I looked for him for 4 days with no luck. I've had complete pass throughs with Winchester Super X's and Remington corelokd bullets. If I'm using factory ammo I'll use one of them. I'm trying Hornady Interlock reloads this year in my 223, 243 and 25-06.

For big guns that leave big holes I think BT would be ok, but 25-06 is the biggest gun I have and I won't be buying BT's again.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Right John - penetration is not what they're designed for. If you hit bone they don't go much further, at least not in the direction you intend for them to. I think they're great for long-distance shots in any caliber - the tip helps the bullet expand. At short distances they literally explode, and that's what they are designed for. If you want a DRT shot they should do the trick, but I'd rather track them a few yards than lose the meat.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've had great accuracy and performance with the factory Winchester silvertips in my 30.06 760 remmington. I ran across a Wal-mart this summer that had 30.06 boxes for $10 each!!! the manager said he overordered and had to get ride of em. I bought every box he had. It took a while explaining the $400 wal mart bill to the wife. But it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
18,385 Posts
I've stuck with Accubond's over the past 5 years or so because I am getting the best of both worlds. Great accuracy and the amount of damage is phenomanal. That is out of a 7mag. I know it is too much for our deer around here, but once I found something that worked well, I hated to give it up. No big gun ego problems here, I just enjoy getting two holes in a deer I shoot, and I enjoy accuracy.

I am hesitant to shoot a lot of ballistic tips in the 7mag simply because of experiance in the past. I shot two deer with them, one doe one buck, and while I recovered both deer, the bullets had just disentegrated in the animal. Made for pretty quick kills, but I hated the meat loss away from the impact site and I just always wondered what would have happened if I would have hit a major bone first.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
BT have cost me 3 deer in one week

I loaded up some .270 rounds with them and at 200 yards they were dead on accurate at the range. I went to my Father's house in NC and was hunting an old friends farm. He had an over abundance of does and wanted me to thin them out. I shot at deer from distances of 50 to around 150 yards in his bean field and had a solid rest. With tose BT's I could see I hit the deer but no blood and in the end no deer. On the last day I shot a 4 point at a distance of about 40 yards. That deer went about 100 yards into the woods and never bled a drop. When I got to him his lungs looked like a grenade had gone off inside him. I've never loaded ballsitic tips again.

My Speer spitzers have never let me down and I should have known to stick with what works for me. Speers go into all of my loads from my .380 all the way up to my 30.06. I load the 105 gr spitzer in my .243 and back it with 33.0 gr of WW 760. They travel at 2359 fps and make quick humane kills. I have not lost a deer with that particular load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.