Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if it's legal to put out corn feeders for raccoons on public land? (Not on a WMA just National Forest.) This would be for "pre-baiting" in early fall this coming year. I know you can't hunt deer over them except on private land. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Pretty sure that is still illegial. But I have been retired from the F.S. about 16 years so it is possible regulations have changed. Probably need to check with the AR Game & Fish first. :thumb:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Here's what it says in the regulations book, and I'm pretty sure the national forest is a WMA at least the Ozark National Forest is.

Feeding and Baiting Wildlife

Baiting is the direct or indirect placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of salt, grain or other feed that could serve to lure or attract wildlife to, on or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them. An area is considered baited for 10 days following complete removal of bait.
Hunters may bait wildlife, except:
Alligators may not be hunted over bait.
Bears may not be fed or baited for any reason (including photography or viewing) except from 30 days before bear season through the end of bear season on private land in bear zones 1, 2, 5 and 5A.
Baiting is not allowed on wildlife management areas (scents or lures are legal as long as they do not mimic food).
Migratory birds, wild turkeys, waterfowl or crows may not be hunted over bait if the hunter knows, or should reasonably know, the area is baited (see Migratory Bird Baiting).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. HHFL, That's what I saw on the AGFC page, too. To me it looks like it all depends on whether or not they consider the Ouachita Forest a WMA, which I'm pretty sure Muddy Creek and Caney Creek are the only two WMA's but I could be wrong. I know you for sure can't bait deer on public land. Anyway, I plan on calling them before next fall to ask about this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts