Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
what do you guys use for protection while baiting them ? Do you carry a weapon ? Do you carry spray or anything when you are bow hunting them ? This will be my first year and no experience at all except for all I can find to read about it. I have seen the tracks of only one bear and have the bait about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from where I saw the tracks. Thats as close as I could get to where I have regularly seen the tracks. Do you think it will find the bait ? How long does it usually take 'em to find it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everybody.

·
Super Moderator
7,071 Posts
The law does not allow you to carry a pistol when bow bear hunting.:bigwink: That being said I would rather pay a fine than get mauled or worse. Bear will travel a great distance for prefered foods.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The law does not allow you to carry a pistol when bow bear hunting.:bigwink: That being said I would rather pay a fine than get mauled or worse. Bear will travel a great distance for prefered foods.
Not only a fine but like 30 points on your record for which you loose your license for three to five years :eek: I have researched and found they beleive that pepper spray works better than a gun for protection against a charging bear. I will be getting some spray in the near future :wink: Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
what do you guys use for protection while baiting them ? Do you carry a weapon ? Do you carry spray or anything when you are bow hunting them ? This will be my first year and no experience at all except for all I can find to read about it. I have seen the tracks of only one bear and have the bait about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from where I saw the tracks. Thats as close as I could get to where I have regularly seen the tracks. Do you think it will find the bait ? How long does it usually take 'em to find it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to everybody.
I had to put my bait out in an area about 1/2 mile from where I found the sign. There were bears on it within 2 days. I'm really surprised at how many bears are out there! On our lease in Yell county, we rarely see bear and only occasionally see bear tracks. Suddenly, I'm getting 3 or 4 different bears hitting my bait. For bait, I'm mainly using dog food soaked with used cooking oil. At first, I also splattered Liquid Smoke all over the surrounding bushes. Lately, I've been getting fat trimmings from a local butcher and putting them with the dog food. Baiting a bear is also a good way to get rid of all that stuff in you deep freeze that you don't recognize anymore. It's kind of scary though as I'm finding that they're on the bait within 20 minutes of me leaving it!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do you have to remove the bait before season?
No..you can hunt over it where legal

here is what the reg book says
Bait, foodstuffs or the use of any kind of lure to attract bears is not allowed except on private lands in zone 1 from Sept. 1 until Nov. 30, in zone 2 from Aug. 15 until Nov. 30, in zone 5 from Nov. 6 until Dec. 14 and zone 5A from Oct. 30 until Dec. 14. Bears may be hunted over bait where baiting is legal. Baiting ends when either the quota is reached in zones 5 and 5A or the season ends

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Not only a fine but like 30 points on your record for which you loose your license for three to five years :eek: I have researched and found they beleive that pepper spray works better than a gun for protection against a charging bear. I will be getting some spray in the near future :wink: Thanks for the info.
Where can you get pepper spray? I need to get some in the morning as I'm going after one tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
220 Posts
08.03 POSSESSION OF FIREARMS WHILE ARCHERY AND CROSSBOW HUNTING PROHIBITED.
03-92/08-08 It shall be unlawful to have any firearms in the immediate possession while hunting bear, deer or turkey
with archery tackle.

EXCEPTIONS:

(1) Legal firearms when and where a regular gun or muzzle-loading deer season is open.

(2) Legal firearms when and where bear season is open.

(3) Holders of a valid state-issued concealed handgun license recognized and honored by the State of Arkansas in accordance with Arkansas Code Title 5, Chapter 73, Subchapter 3, may possess the handgun covered by the license, except in places where otherwise prohibited under federal, state or local law or where disallowed by a landowner in accordance with applicable law. Nothing in this exception is intended to supersede or limit the regulations of any federal, state or local authorities that prohibit the possession of concealed handguns on their property, including, but not limited to, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the National Park Service.

(4) Members of deer camps that are enrolled in the Deer Management Assistance Program that have been issued Unrestricted Weapon Doe Permits.

PENALTY: $100.00 to $1,000.00.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.