Bait

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by steeljaw, Sep 10, 2020.

1. steeljaw

steeljaw Active Member

I just read the regs on this years deer hunting season. I did not know that you cannot use bait for trapping furbearers unless you are on private land. I am I reading this wrong? When you go to the trapping regs it says nothing about this in the trapping or hunting furbearers regulations. Somebody needs to make up their mind and give straight forward rules, you should not have different rules in different places for the same thing.

2. ofwc

ofwc New Member

That's been in the regs a couple years. Taken literally, everything but snares and blind sets has been banned in roughly half of all Arkansas public land, which I doubt they would do considering predator population, lack of trapping participation, pushing the predator control permit, etc.

From the o-fish-o regulation document:

07.06 - It is unlawful to place or deposit foodstuffs, scents, lures, grains, minerals, pelletized feed, or other materials for the purpose of hunting, attracting, or enticing wildlife for any reason inside the CWD Management Zone.

EXCEPTIONS:
    D. Trapping furbearers with the use of bait during open furbearer trapping seasons or hunting furbearers during open furbearer hunting seasons on private land

I take it as the OR means trapping with dirtholes/lure is OK, but hunting over bait piles (dead carcasses, etc) is only OK on private land.

I sent an email to [email protected] asking to clarify, will post if I get a reply.

frogleg likes this.

3. steeljaw

steeljaw Active Member

4. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

You can't use bait to trap fur. That has been the case for years. When I trapped you could. But you'll catch Owls, Hawks, and Buzzards if you use animal or fish baits. I think that is the reason they banned meat baits. You can still use lure unless they changed that too.
    Blake Sasse is the trapping guy I think I get a survey from. He could clarify the regs. I still get a trapping licence every year in case I need to nuisance trap for someone.

5. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ravenden
    You can't use bait that isn't covered right??

Cant be visible??

frogleg likes this.
  6. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ravenden
    Screenshot_20200919-213158_Chrome.jpg

First 2 points should clear up anything.....

frogleg likes this.
  7. TravisJ

TravisJ Active Member

You guys are thinking to hard.
    Make like prom night
    &
    Put it in a hole.
    Or
    Put it under a rock, log, etc etc

Take a wad of grass and tuck in, to hide the bait if your skeert.
    I’m not a g man , but things I have seen——

Don’t dig a pocket on a creek that rises and falls and throw a chicken wing in. That wing COULD wash out and put you within violation.
    Don’t throw a single branch on top of a dead beaver. That’s not covered.
    Who in there right mind wants to be messing with buzzards anywho, bunch of stinking feathered mouth breathers.

frogleg and Remington like this.
  8. Dmille5

Dmille5 Well-Known Member

Those have been the rules on baiting forever GOTTA BE COVERED

9. ofwc

ofwc New Member

Got a reply from Mr. Sasse, trapping with bait/lure is OK on public land in CWD zones:

The exception allows trapping with bait and lures during any open furbearer trapping season on public or private land inside the CWD zone. The exception allows bait for the use of hunting furbearers on private land in the CWD Zone. Bait has never been allowed for hunting anything on public land either in or outside of the CWD zone. There is no restriction on use of bait for hunting furbearers outside the CWD zone.

Trapping "bait" on public, I assume refers to a spoonful of something from a jar like Carmen's Bushwacker or a muskrat leg, chunk of beaver, etc and the "must be covered" regs apply. I guess hunting over bait on private could be a dead cow or stack of beavers and "must be covered" doesn't apply.

Never fails though you still need a lawyer to interpret. :(

frogleg likes this.