Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one ever pack in the Buffalo River NF and hunt (deer)
for a day or 2. And if so did you have any luck.

thanks
map

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Not yet, but I plan to eventually. I've been acquiring all the necessary gear for the last year or so, and hopefully this year I'll have everything I need to do it. I've always wanted to strike out on my own in the wilderness and do some hunting and sight seeing...

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I've seen bow hunters on the river below Steel Creek several times. I also talked to a guy that sets up a horse camp around Jim Bluff about 4 miles below Steel Creek. He said that they always kill deer.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
Now THAT would be hunting!

Im too old for it anymore but I could defninitely see how it would a fun thing to do.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
A combined 5 knee surgeries and 2 on a foot, I think them days are past. I'm betting that would be a blast though.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
possum, I am fat and slow you would probaly do fine.
Me too. :thumb:

I might be able to do it to hunt 1 day but somebody might have to carry me the next day, just the walk of a good 4-5 hour squirrel hunt kills me the next day.

·
Registered
22,252 Posts
map

I backpack hunt in Colorado. This fall we're doing a more bivy type hunt. I use a Schuh pack, an REI 4 pounds ten, a 2.6 pound down bag, a jetBoil and basic survival items. I'm hoping to get to 30-32 pounds in my pack which will last me for about 5 days.

I imagine that would work well in the Buffalo/Leatherwoods too

·
Registered
Marlin .308 Bolt and Compound Bow ..
6,006 Posts
Well I'm 1 of those that floats in on the Lower Buffalo each MG season for a few days And I have gotten lucky 2 out of 3 yrs..

:wink: My jonboat packs alot more than my back !! A guy can get as outback as possiable in Arkansas on the Lower Buffalo..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
map

I backpack hunt in Colorado. This fall we're doing a more bivy type hunt. I use a Schuh pack, an REI 4 pounds ten, a 2.6 pound down bag, a jetBoil and basic survival items. I'm hoping to get to 30-32 pounds in my pack which will last me for about 5 days.

I imagine that would work well in the Buffalo/Leatherwoods too
you sound like you got it together, that's the way I like to go but all my buddies is just got to lazy. I bought a jetboil last year and I love it (even on a dayhunt) I been looking at a new tent black diamond mega lite less than 3#
sleeps 2 plus gear. Maybe one day find new buddies thats no so lazzy:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts