Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a 3 day hunt at Fort Rucker, Alabama. My buddy is stationed down there, and even though he'd never turkey hunted, he was ready to go hunting after spending a lot of time over in the big sandbox.
We hunted on the base, and even though there were birds all over the place, we couldnt connect. Heard one gobble day 1, nothing day 2, and 3 different birds day 3. On the second morning, we couldnt hear anything, so we set up on a bunch of tracks and strut marks. A bird appeared 40 yds away and started strutting. Neither of us moved, the decoys were out, I thought he was dead; but he popped out of strut, quick-stepped behind a bush, and we never saw him again. The only bird we really worked was the last morning, and the hens just totally out classed us!
It was nice to get a head start and see my friend either way. I was absolutely fascinated by the white sand and all of the tracks everywhere. Tough to see tracks in the rocks up here. I think these were the first strut marks I've ever seen.
track:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/Hobbshunter/Track.jpg
strut mark:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/Hobbshunter/strutmarks.jpg
scrape:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/Hobbshunter/Scrape.jpg

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
The fun is usually in the going and the comradery ain't it, the kill is just an added bonus if it happens. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Hobbshunter, have the rules in Alabama changed concerning decoys. When I lived in Alabama, decoys were not allowed. :thumb:

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Sounds like ya had a great time :thumb: Bye the way decoys are legal in AL, the rule changed a couple years ago.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing about Alabama... If you read the state wrap-up in Turkey Call or other magazines, they estimated their turkey populations just ridiculously high.
I was talking to one of the wardens down there. He told me that they check 200-300 birds off that base each year!!!

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
We spent 2.5 days hunting Alabama early this week. Heard gobbling each day, but couldn't connect. We did have an exciting morning on Tuesday, getting very close to two big gobblers, one strutter. Chased them all morning, but never could get in front.

I think Alabama way overestimates their turkey population, because you do not check them. Maybe on the bases and certain areas you do, but where we hunt on public land there is no checkstation. How can you manage a resource without having some sort of data around it? You can do surveys and other types of research, but how accurate can it be? I'll continue to go back if I get the chance.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We spent 2.5 days hunting Alabama early this week. Heard gobbling each day, but couldn't connect. We did have an exciting morning on Tuesday, getting very close to two big gobblers, one strutter. Chased them all morning, but never could get in front.

I think Alabama way overestimates their turkey population, because you do not check them. Maybe on the bases and certain areas you do, but where we hunt on public land there is no checkstation. How can you manage a resource without having some sort of data around it? You can do surveys and other types of research, but how accurate can it be? I'll continue to go back if I get the chance.
I'm glad they were gobbling better for you. The first 2 days we were there, the lows were in the 40s. My buddy said maybe it was the cold weather, but I'd never really thought of it, I guess that's relatively cold there. The last day's low was 50, and they were gobbling great.
They definitely overestimate, but it's a ton of birds either way. I think at that point its just a competition with Missouri.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts