Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF YOU ONLY KEEP THE LEGS YOU'RE THROWING THE BEST PART AWAY!!!!

I know I say this every year, but we've got a lot of new folks on here. The best meat on a frog is the back. It's more tender and doesn't have that "rubbery" feel.

HOW TO SKIN A FROG:

1.) Chop off the head, back feet and front feet. LEAVE THE LEGS ATTACHED TO THE BODY, FOR NOW.

2.) Take some catfish skinnin' pliers and grab the skin at the neck, insert your fingers under the skin until you can grab the backbone....then with one quick motion pull the skin off of the entire frog.

3.) Split the pelvis, slit the belly from pelvis through the breast plate, EXACTLY like you do a squirrel.

4.) Remove guts (then marvel at some of the amazing things you'll find in a frogs belly....birds, turtles, mice, crawdads, etc.)

5.) Chop off back legs. Remove front legs (by pulling off, or cutting off).

Now you've got a pile of back legs, front legs, and backs. Cook it all just as you normally would do.

My brother and I can skin about 2 frogs per minute using this technique, and when you finish you've got twice as much meat for your efforts, and nothing is being wasted!

PLEASE give this a try just one time and you'll be kicking yourself when you discover that you've been throwing away the best part all of these years. :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
608 Posts
I kinda gave up on the frogs because there never did seem to be enough meat left to make it worth the while.

Then a friend showed me what I was doing wrong, and everything was better.

He was using a frog spear that had 4 or 5 little spears on it. He just stuck them in that frog and pulled em right up to the boat.

He always seemed to get a lot more than me and he offered to take me with him to watch and see how it was done. I was amazed.

So was he, after he watched my technique. :eek:

Come to find out, a 12 guage loaded with buckshot isnt the best thing to use for frogs. Its no wonder there never seemed to be much left to eat.

I wished I would have known that years ago....:smack:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I kinda gave up on the frogs because there never did seem to be enough meat left to make it worth the while.

Then a friend showed me what I was doing wrong, and everything was better.

He was using a frog spear that had 4 or 5 little spears on it. He just stuck them in that frog and pulled em right up to the boat.

He always seemed to get a lot more than me and he offered to take me with him to watch and see how it was done. I was amazed.

So was he, after he watched my technique. :eek:

Come to find out, a 12 guage loaded with buckshot isnt the best thing to use for frogs. Its no wonder there never seemed to be much left to eat.

I wished I would have known that years ago....:smack:
Hahaha, try a .22 with ratshot or shorts if your in a safe place.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like using the 22 with stingers. Frogs dont jump in after you shoot them. I remember going out to a cow pond, Id hear the big old bullfrog on the other side raising cain. Id slip around to him with my gig and as i got close enough he would hop in. Walk around the pond a couple times and have him keep hopping in. You too would decide to use something with a little more range. Just be sure when you hit these ponds not to wipe out every frog you see. Let the little fellars grow up. I remember several years ago I took my wife on her first frog hunt. The first pond we went to was awesome! We eased up to the pond and there they were about 6 big ole boys in a row. I let her shoot 3 or 4 of them and I got to pop the last couple. She had such a good time, she was hooked for good. I remember her being big and pregnant. I told her I was going frog hunting and dang if she didnt want to go too. I ended up just hanging out at home that evening. I just couldnt picture her little old butt with the monster belly out climbing fences and chasing frogs

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
IF YOU ONLY KEEP THE LEGS YOU'RE THROWING THE BEST PART AWAY!!!!

I know I say this every year, but we've got a lot of new folks on here. The best meat on a frog is the back. It's more tender and doesn't have that "rubbery" feel.

HOW TO SKIN A FROG:

1.) Chop off the head, back feet and front feet. LEAVE THE LEGS ATTACHED TO THE BODY, FOR NOW.

2.) Take some catfish skinnin' pliers and grab the skin at the neck, insert your fingers under the skin until you can grab the backbone....then with one quick motion pull the skin off of the entire frog.

3.) Split the pelvis, slit the belly from pelvis through the breast plate, EXACTLY like you do a squirrel.

4.) Remove guts (then marvel at some of the amazing things you'll find in a frogs belly....birds, turtles, mice, crawdads, etc.)

5.) Chop off back legs. Remove front legs (by pulling off, or cutting off).

Now you've got a pile of back legs, front legs, and backs. Cook it all just as you normally would do.

My brother and I can skin about 2 frogs per minute using this technique, and when you finish you've got twice as much meat for your efforts, and nothing is being wasted!

PLEASE give this a try just one time and you'll be kicking yourself when you discover that you've been throwing away the best part all of these years. :thumb:

.270Win
270 the above instructions are the only way I've ever seen anybody skin them. Is there another way?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.