Attack of the Spoonies

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by ccrn, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ccrn

ccrn Well-Known Member

We have a increase in spoonies this year and I not sure why? We are hunting flooded rice fields and have mallards mixed in with the spoons. We are blaming it on the oil spill , keeping them from going on down to Louisiana,but that is just "duck blind talk". Anybody have a theory?

2. Qwack Attack

Qwack Attack Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Too much bull :censored: in the duck blind.

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ducks can pick up and fly to where conditions suit them. Must be something in and around your field they find to their liking. In SW AR, I have seen fewer spooners than any of the past few seasons.

4. xdamagexx

xdamagexx Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

thats what we been killn mainly all year is dang ole spoonies. i think most hunters tag them as trash ducks and don't shoot them like the greenys. we eatm and they are fine. just lil smaller. we think personally they are gettin over populated with no one really targeting them.. been on several hunts where everyone was ahh its just spoons lettm go. AGFC needs to have an extended spoonie season with no bag limit. :D

5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have not seen a spooner since the second week of season. Scarce in my parts.

6. Scritch

Scritch Well-Known Member

Seen and heard of quite the many in NE Ark in rice fields

7. shootemagain

shootemagain Well-Known Member

Haven't kilt a single spoonie in the woods this year. Hunted a nice private field last week and we kilt a mess of spoonies and greenies. The spoonies were flying so close we could see their gold teeth shining! :skeptical:

8. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

Snails.....they love snails.....:cool:

9. Doug Fryer

Doug Fryer Well-Known Member

AS MANY AS STAR IN SKY SAYING "SHOOT ME! SHOOT ME!

[​IMG]

10. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

FULL PLUM DRAKE!!!!! :eek:

11. fowlen

fowlen Well-Known Member

one for the wall for sure.. doug is one lucky dude..

12. fowlen

fowlen Well-Known Member

during the first freeze doug fryer, j. adams and myself had a darn good northern shoveler shoot over at bald knob..

[​IMG]

13. We have slaughtered them also this year, I hate to shoot at them but when thats all there is, heck with it! :up:

14. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

I have to ask is that a banded shove nuts in the middle?

15. fowlen

fowlen Well-Known Member

doug put a fake band on it after he made a 250 yard retrieve accorss 8 inch ice and 7 foot deep water holes just to fry with us.. you know he's always trying to be cute!!