Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Athletes are overpaid!:mad:
Plus they still have problems with drugs, guns, and other things.:down:
They hardly give to charity and stay in trouble with the law.
I think they shouldn't get paid that much.

·
Administrator
73,846 Posts
Just now figuring that one out, huh?? :biggrin:

Anytime someone is getting paid multi-millions of $$$ just to play sports they are getting WAY overpaid.

I'd say cut 'em back to no more than about $200K per year, If they don't want to play for that, tell 'em Wal Mart is hiring stock boys.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Don't hate the player - hate the game...and the people that support it. Pro sports teams aren't where the BIG money is. Tiger Woods doesn't get paid all that much (relatively anyway) for playing golf. He gets the vast majority of his money from endorsements. Nike pays him tens of millions of $$ to wear their shoes and use their gear, because just having his face next to the gear means people will choose that brand over another. The more 'they' pay for endorsements the more they have to charge for their gear. And the more 'they' pay, the more the players want to be paid. It's a vicious circle with no start, no end and no cap.

Hunting is headed down the same path, but there's not much you can do to stop either one short of organizing a massive boycott of every shoe, gun, clothing, beer and potato chip manufacturer. And who wants to do that? We're just the financial victims of our own past times' success.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I dont blame the players. We have a habit of saying someone else gets paid too much,but we never seem to think we are over paid at our jobs. Solution..... get one of those over payin jobs. Sometimes the things we say sound just like a certain race saying another race has kept them down,poor pitiful me. If your son or daughter was a professional athlete would you tell them to take less money? I didnt think so.

·
Registered
13,988 Posts
I dont blame the players. We have a habit of saying someone else gets paid too much,but we never seem to think we are over paid at our jobs. Solution..... get one of those over payin jobs. Sometimes the things we say sound just like a certain race saying another race has kept them down,poor pitiful me. If your son or daughter was a professional athlete would you tell them to take less money? I didnt think so.
I think its ok if its me making it. :fit::fit: You make a good point Buck.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Just now figuring that one out, huh?? :biggrin:

Anytime someone is getting paid multi-millions of $$$ just to play sports they are getting WAY overpaid.

I'd say cut 'em back to no more than about $200K per year, If they don't want to play for that, tell 'em Wal Mart is hiring stock boys.
If folks quit watching and following them and buying the stuff advertised then they'll get paid less. It ain't complicated, just not simple either.

Tommy

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
So who do you want to get all the money? The owners, the league, or coaches. I say pay them what the fans are willing to spend.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would have to say that yes they are overpaid in terms of value. But so are actors/actresses, singers, and anyone else who is in the business of "entertainment". These people have a skillset that is "unique" enough to create a demand for them. Others like you and me spend our discretionary income to see them perform their "talent". With that being said I cannot blame them for negotiating to make all the money they can.....I know I would if I were in demand. I would venture to say a vast majority of those with great wealth donate and help out many who are less fortunate than they are.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I would have to say that yes they are overpaid in terms of value. But so are actors/actresses, singers, and anyone else who is in the business of "entertainment". These people have a skillset that is "unique" enough to create a demand for them. Others like you and me spend our discretionary income to see them perform their "talent". With that being said I cannot blame them for negotiating to make all the money they can.....I know I would if I were in demand. I would venture to say a vast majority of those with great wealth donate and help out many who are less fortunate than they are.
well put!

·
Administrator
73,846 Posts
Who is worth more... The baseball player getting paid $24M to play ball 6 months a year and thinks he's better than anyone else or the firefighter that runs into a burning building to save your infant child, or the cop that performs CPR on your daughter that has been severely injured in a wreck until the ambulance arrives?

Granted, athletes and actors perform a job, but how can you put $20M a movie on it?? Yea, the baseball owners rake in the $$, but drop those ticket prices back to $10 and pay the athletes $200K a year and everyone still makes money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Who is worth more is a personal opinion. I would think police, firemen, teachers, ect. are worth more!!!! The thing is we all pay to see the exceptional people in any field because we support the advertiser. We help negotiate the salaries through our spending.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Who is worth more... The baseball player getting paid $24M to play ball 6 months a year and thinks he's better than anyone else or the firefighter that runs into a burning building to save your infant child, or the cop that performs CPR on your daughter that has been severely injured in a wreck until the ambulance arrives?

Granted, athletes and actors perform a job, but how can you put $20M a movie on it?? Yea, the baseball owners rake in the $$, but drop those ticket prices back to $10 and pay the athletes $200K a year and everyone still makes money.
Mr C I agree with you on the firefighter and cop, but they be paid with tax dollars. Are you willing to pay more taxes?

·
Administrator
73,846 Posts
Just putting figures out there. The .gov throws away billions and billions of $$ every day without a second thought. I could think of a lot better ways to spend the taxes I ALREADY pay.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Who is worth more is a personal opinion. I would think police, firemen, teachers, ect. are worth more!!!! The thing is we all pay to see the exceptional people in any field because we support the advertiser. We help negotiate the salaries through our spending.
Man you nailed it there!
Tommy

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Can we retro this pay for firefighters. I could use the back pay.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Athletes are overpaid!:mad:
Plus they still have problems with drugs, guns, and other things.:down:
They hardly give to charity and stay in trouble with the law.
I think they shouldn't get paid that much.
Are you sure you are talking about athletes and not congressman?:fit::clap::fit:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts