Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to see if anyone has any insight on a light poundage compound bow. My wife got her first compound last year, her current setup is 42lbs and she has a 24”draw. She currently is shooting a .600 carbon arrows, 5.7gpi and 125g field points. We could probably up her poundage some, she can shoot the 42lbs with ease. What are some good arrow recommendations for a .500/.600 arrow to increase weight and for hunting? I haven’t found much info on that size arrow. With her current setup can she shoot .500? Seems to be a lot more options in that size. From most charts I’ve seen, I think she could get away with it. I’m hoping we can find a heavier arrow with possibly some heavier inserts and 125 grain head. Max yardage shot on deer would be 25yards.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I agree with .400. Weight is key especially in such low energy setups such as hers. I’d really shoot for 500 grains total weight. You might be surprised on the lack of difference in trajectory from 450 to 500 in that energy range. I recently set one up with the same specs. At 20 yards there was a 2” difference in POI between the two. So I’d get a 400 spine and load up the front with enough weight to get 500 grains.

·
Registered
973 Posts
it is getting easier to find higher point weights for increased total arrow weight and penetration. But... you may thing about going aluminum, they are heavier, AND you may be able to use the same broadheads as you do now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.