Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my old huntin' buddy is going to get his duck blind back. Good for him!

State Holds Claim to Submerged Island Near Marked Tree

Posted: March 6, 2008 03:27 PM CST

MARKED TREE, AR - The Arkansas Supreme Court says a submerged island in the St. Francis River near Marked Tree belongs to the state and not the Hatchie **** Hunting and Fishing Club.

The **** hunting and anglers club purchased a 700-acre tracts of land from the state in 1892, and brought suit in 2001 against three duck hunters over the operation of duck blinds on the property. The island is now covered by a shallow layer of water.

The state appeals court last year ruled that the island belonged to the club.

But the Arkansas Supreme Court today reversed that decision, saying the property was the state's. The high court said the club didn't lay claim to the property after the state took it over through adverse possession when the state raised the river's water levels in the early 1980s as a flood control measure.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an explination I gave about it to the guys on another forum. Without getting deep into it, this is pretty much what it was all about.

The Hatchiecoon Hunting Club has always pushed their weight around over on the river. As far as I know, there are no resident members. They are all from out-of-state. My good friend, and hunting buddy, was one of the three men who had the duck blind that was anchored to the underwater island. He'd hunted that blind for over 35 years. Well, the guys at the hunting club didn't like people duck hunting close to their boundries, and every year somebody's blind, that was too close, got burned. The hunting club decided to take my buddie's group to court over ownership of the land the blind was anchored to, since they couldn't bully them into leaving. It got pretty big at the state level. My buddie received more than one phone call from Governor Huckabee over the whole deal. They finally had to remove the blind, under court order. First, until a decision could be made, and then are the lower court ruling that the land belonged to the hunting club. But now, the Supreme Court says that the island is now part of the river, and the AGFC owns it. Looks like my buddie's going to get his blind back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts