Arkansas River near Alma

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wfugitt, Dec 5, 2012.

1. wfugitt

wfugitt Well-Known Member

Has anybody ever hunted the Arkansas river near alma? Specifically all those Islands next to Frog Bayou? I've got an 18 ft flat bottom with a 25hp. Is that enough boat?

THNX

2. QuarterBore

QuarterBore Well-Known Member

I used to kill the poop outta the ducks around Clear Creek 'bout 15 years ago. But what you've got would be too much boat for that. We usually wound up dragging the boat over a couple of levees.

3. Razorback123

Razorback123 Super Member<br>The Original BBDH

If you feel comfortable with it then it should be okay. But I would think that an 18 foot boat would be more motor.. But it is defiantly plenty boat

4. wfugitt

wfugitt Well-Known Member

Great guys thanks.

5. jd huntn

jd huntn Well-Known Member

alma
    I go there and mulberry eith a 1748 50hp or a 20ft 90hp or a 1436 9.9 hp. You gotta know how to read the river i live all dirt road from dyer bay and i ride down to see in the evenings... ill give you some advice, you better be early, i mean early. Theres sum good spots in there for sure..find a slew south of the bay youll be lucky.. as far as islands there ok but 90% of the time hunters next to ya will try and call your birds..good luck probally see ya around silver dodge dually says "got coonhunting" on window

6. DevilDogCruiser

DevilDogCruiser Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Make sure you wear a PFD. River is narly down there.

7. We hunt there, but not around Arbuckle Island. Arbuckle gets a lot of pressure. You should of seen it opening day white lights all around the perimeter!

8. deer farmer

deer farmer Well-Known Member

Hit or miss mostly miss

9. Yall ready for this week! Hope this cold front brings some new ducks!

10. jd huntn

alma
    Any of yall ever hunt from lock and dam towards garrison...scouted it out sunday saw sum good spots..jumped up some birds, ran outta fuel, rescue boat had an electrical fire what a day/ night

11. We have talked about hunting that pool but never have. We always hunt in the ozark pool. Going out tommorow morning hopefully there will be some new ducks in with this weather! Glad you made it back in JD!

12. deer farmer

deer farmer Well-Known Member

Hunted this section for a long time and like every other place around here it has gotten worse over the years. Too many people not enough spots. Timing is everything if you can hunt during the week and catch some new ducks in that area you will do ok

13. jd huntn

alma
    Thanx w.p.s Thinking about hitting spadra this weekend see whats happening.. Beleive ill stay east of the am, supposedly theres no core of engineer land west of the dam so the agfc said today on the phone.. But i can show ya one of there signs lol...they told me its all private land even the islands, so im sticking to the bay or v.p...

14. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    Theres a slough behind the salvage yard and dirt track just north of Garrison Lance and I used to hunt. Killed a lot of ducks there.

15. JD we hunted Dyer Bay yesterday and seen hardly any birds. I have yet to see a big push of any new birds. We need alot colder weather up north of us!