Arkansas Record Trees

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by SwampCat, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:13 PM.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Is there a list for AR record sized trees. Got a pretty good size Chinquapin Oak on the place I would like to compare.

2. SwampCat

3. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    I have to say, after reading that list, WOW!

Now, how do you tell a Bitternut from a Light from a Shagbark from a Water Hickory? I know a hickory tree that needs measured. I think I'll do that tomorrow. And maybe find out what kind of hickory nut tree it is.

4. SwampCat

Hickorys can be pretty tough - number of leaflets, nut size, bark characteristics - not a lot of difference between some of them.

Punkinseed likes this.
  5. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    I did a little digging. I know it's not Shagbark, but that's it. Going to it tomorrow and taking a tape and looking at leaflets.

I really didn't find much on Water hickories, but if this one is a water hickory, it's going to be interesting to see how close it is to the record. My two sons and I could barely reach around it in a chain.

6. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

Is the white oak height right? If so what I call a white must not be a white because they get much higher than that.
    ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1500268538.689041.jpg

7. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member

Me too. What I call a white gets about the size of most red oaks. Not the big yard oaks, but bigger than you can wrap your arms around. More than a cord of firewood in the really big ones. Probably 60 or 70 feet tall.

crackshot82 likes this.
  8. whetstone

It also says the persimmon is only 18 feet. They get much taller than that.

9. SwampCat

no way height on white oak is correct. Should be roughly the same height as the rest of the oaks.

10. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

If got one in my yard that's got 42 big steps/yrds limb span and 196" circumference. Don't know how tall.

11. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

The way they calculate the champion trees does not depend only on height, or circumference. Just because it's tall or big around doesn't make it the biggest. They use a formula of height, circumference, and crown spread to come up with a Bigness Index number. It's the total that makes it a champion tree. I'm on a quest to see all of them in the state and take a picture of my daughter with each one. The magnolia and the catalpa at Old Washington State Park are huge. The magnolia is unbelievable. It's so big you don't realize it's all the same tree. I think it has officially been replaced as champion by one at Texarkana but that would have to be something really special to beat the one at Old Washington. Swampcat, there are several champions down in your corner of the state. They're worth checking out.

12. Lt Gibson

Lt Gibson Well-Known Member

Cut it down and you can measure it more easily...

Allenn and HurricaneRabbit like this.
  13. whetstone

That makes a lot more sense.

14. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

http://www.ozarkchinquapin.com/

contact them - a big living Chinquapin is rare, the chinese disease still haunts the roots of one of the greatest american chestnuts :(

15. SwampCat

It is a Chinquapin Oak - not true ozark chinquapin

16. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

ahhh ok

17. grassduck

grassduck Well-Known Member

The size of the baldcypress is crazy