Arkansas Hunting banner

Arkansas hog doggers please read

5K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  soarkrebel 
#1 ·
I heard tonight that the game & fish is looking to outlaw hog-dogging in Arkansas. They are supposed to look into it at the Mar 20 meeting. Make your voice heard.

#3 ·
you talking about the competetion or hog hunting with dogs if so they will have to outlaw the dogs on cows to and that ain't going to happen to many cowboys out dogs a must have there justs like me my dogs are cow dogs first hog dogs second. and two many hogs ruining pastures

#11 ·
If so, ALL Dog Hunters need to join forces to fight this...........

If the AFGC doesn't Acknowledge Wild Hogs as a Game Animal. I don't see how they can try to Regulate the use of Dogs to hunt them.........

It would be like the Game warden trying to give me a Ticket. For using my Mama's Weenie Dog to tree our Neighbor's House Cats when I was a kid.........

#16 ·
I did have a WO tell me they were thinking of regulating hog hunting. Maybe this has more to do that than anything? If they outlaw hog hunting on private property they had better get ready for a flood of depredation permits to control nuisance animals. If a hog, pig, piglet is causing damage then they are a nuisance.

#19 ·
The Arkansas Game and Fish would be over stepping their boudaries. Hogs are not regulated by the G&F nor do they have any authority to ban dogs on private property. Surely its just a rumor.........:mad:
as for Private property they dont have Authority.. YET

The rules can change anytime they see fit as we should all know..
Do you really think they care what anyone wants...

There is a hog season so why cant they.. They regulate that you cant hunt them on public land during the off hunting season dont they :confused:

So why cant they say no using dogs on Public property period on any animal or just hogs or just deer or coons or whatever is happening on State land ?

#21 ·
I heard something similar, but what I heard only applied to public property and also looking at getting more serious on the ones dumping the pigs on public property. This is good for the public property i think, hogs are killing our turkey populations.
i wish they would crack down on those that turn them loose, private or public. i love hunting and seeing them, but hogs roam like its nobodies business and they reproduce like rabbits. no need in turning a bunch more loose

#24 ·
This is the response I received from Sonny Varnell.

As far as I currently know there are no plans for the March meeting to consider changes other that calendar creep dates to any current regulations concerning "hog-dogging". As you well know, there are current regulations concerning this activity on Wildlife Management Areas, and other areas, and should be reviewed closely prior to your hunt.

Public property WMA's, which includes the National Forest and other public lands, already have regulations which preclude this activity. However, this is only about 12% of Arkansas. The other 88% is private lands and other regulations apply to this land that you should review prior to your hunts.

Thanks for your interest.

Sonny Varnell

#25 ·
catch them hogs and ear mark some and turn them lose and keep hunting anyone has a problem tail them that they are your hogs and u are tring to round them up there is nothing they can do hogs are like cows the the hole heard gets out and can take a while to get up.same with hogs and most of the hogs are on leases which is most of time private land like timber companys which are private

#26 ·
Nobody would complain if I released hundreds of 160 class bucks. They're just as much of a trophy to me. I'd take watchin my dogs work a 350 pound russian boar over a big buck in my crosshairs anyday. But not enough to take a chance on getting caught for releasing hogs on public land. I would think it would be impossible to outlaw doggin, but you can't dog deer anymore so why not hogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.