Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,968 Posts
I've used a "deercoy" a little, but no great results. I've had a couple of deer walk right up to them, but of course not like they do on TV.:biggrin: I did have a big ole cow walk up to one once. It was really funny to watch. It first came up behind the deercoy and sniffed around, then walked a big circle around to the front of it, carefully approached the front of the deercoy, and LICKED IT on the nose!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I've only tried a decoy once. I put up a doe decoy. The deer were scared to death of it. I suppose a buck decoy might would work better in areas where the buck-to-doe ratio is better than it is here. Around here there are so many does for each buck that there really isn't much competition for does. Thus decoys don't work all that well. But that's only my experience. Someone else's experience might be different.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I've only tried a decoy once. I put up a doe decoy. The deer were scared to death of it. I suppose a buck decoy might would work better in areas where the buck-to-doe ratio is better than it is here. Around here there are so many does for each buck that there really isn't much competition for does. Thus decoys don't work all that well. But that's only my experience. Someone else's experience might be different.
Nope. My experience is the same as yours.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I got my bucks an inflatable doe to go after last year, but none payed it much attention. They watched it and not me, so I guess it did help me not get noticed, but it didn't help me get a deer. This year I have a 6pt buck archery target (looks more realistic than the doe), and I'm gonna put them out together like he's chasing. Maybe that will bring them in better.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My brother has had pretty good results with a decoy. He set up a doe-coy about 50yds out in the field and 2 bucks came out about 300yds away and when they saw the coy they came in a dead run to about 20yds from it and he shot the 8 pntr, The next year he set it up for his daughter and they didn't get in the stand good and had a 9 point sizing her up but she missed it buck fever at it's worst. He also slathers em up with CODE BLUE.

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Usually about once a year I'll try to "decoy" a little. I usually try it with a 3D target, though. I usually use some sort of scent with it. One time I pinned a white hanky to the tail! Never brought in a deer but one evening I had a hunter shoot at it when I was only about 75 yards away! :eek: I almost had a heart attack. He shot twice with an .06! I was afraid to move. I was also pretty mad! After a few seconds I yelled out, "Well, did you get him!" Me being that close to him and he didn't know it scared the puddin' out of him.

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
That's crazy! Must be a pet deer!!!

I have used the fold out cardboard-like Renzo buck and doe decoys before and had a group of 3 does come in and walk up to them. The smallest doe walked up and sniffed them. They would get close then run off. They did it 3 times before she knocked one over! I wish I would have had a camera that day!:biggrin: I've only used them a couple of times in the past few years and that is the only time I've had anything come by and pay any attention to them...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Usually about once a year I'll try to "decoy" a little. I usually try it with a 3D target, though. I usually use some sort of scent with it. One time I pinned a white hanky to the tail! Never brought in a deer but one evening I had a hunter shoot at it when I was only about 75 yards away! :eek: I almost had a heart attack. He shot twice with an .06! I was afraid to move. I was also pretty mad! After a few seconds I yelled out, "Well, did you get him!" Me being that close to him and he didn't know it scared the puddin' out of him.
Dang that is scary for sure, Where were you hunting at? :giveup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.