Arkansas Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm genuinely curious how much time each of you spent scouting. We're your pre season assessments accurate?
I’d say the during-season assessment is what is not accurate in our case. I spent a ton of time listening before season. And I had 10 cameras out from October to April. We have more turkeys than what we are hearing. They weren’t pressured. They weren’t called at before season. They’re not all dead...at least not by the hands of humans. They are just done gobbling. All the way done. Neither a shortened season nor a 1 bird limit is going to accomplish anything for our lease in particular.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I’d say the during-season assessment is what is not accurate in our case. I spent a ton of time listening before season. And I had 10 cameras out from October to April. We have more turkeys than what we are hearing. They weren’t pressured. They weren’t called at before season. They’re not all dead...at least not by the hands of humans. They are just done gobbling. All the way done. Neither a shortened season nor a 1 bird limit is going to accomplish anything for our lease in particular.
If your lease is south of Little Rock then that would 100% be the case. South Arkansas guys are getting the shaft. I live and hunt farther north so that’s the perspective I have.

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
I'm genuinely curious how much time each of you spent scouting. Were your pre season assessments accurate?
I started out at least 6 weeks before season and what I heard/saw then is being seen in the harvest numbers in those areas.. In the areas I hunt numbers have taken a nose dive the last 3 years.. Harvest numbers were even down last year when everyone was out of school/work and more folks were able to hit the woods.. Mother nature is going to need some major help to restore birds in my areas.. I don't know if it's habitat, predation or other environmental factors but it needs to be figured out fast..

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07
7,584 Posts
Awful by my own doing. Work is crazy and can't take off much. Pop isn't getting around too good and I never was super mad at em to start with. Went twice. He missed one and we haven't been back. As long as the fish keep biting I'm content if I never kill another one.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Awful by my own doing. Work is crazy and can't take off much. Pop isn't getting around too good and I never was super mad at em to start with. Went twice. He missed one and we haven't been back. As long as the fish keep biting I'm content if I never kill another one.
They are Biting.... For sure...Sinkos in the Brush...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Heard less birds this year then ever. I've been listening since 1st week of March. Really would like to see more habitat management done across the state not just a little here and there. I would be amazing to have really nice gates up on roads for walk in only so idiots want drive all over the woods and spook birds even more then they already are. Might make these so called folks that call themselves turkey hunters not come in on folks as much either. Who knows but it would be a start if they done those things.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Heard less birds this year then ever. I've been listening since 1st week of March. Really would like to see more habitat management done across the state not just a little here and there. I would be amazing to have really nice gates up on roads for walk in only so idiots want drive all over the woods and spook birds even more then they already are. Might make these so called folks that call themselves turkey hunters not come in on folks as much either. Who knows but it would be a start if they done those things.
That's Just public hunting...Birds that survive
Will be hard to call in..
This is the Turkey we are hunting Today..well educated...Call shy.,... Turkey's...

Your going to have to scout.and Like BlackFoot said work for them to be successful....

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Have hunted Parts of every day...of Turkey season...
Have killed at least one Turkey each season. Since 1979...
And hunted other States..and have been successful..
I could have killed Two Turkey easy if I had really hunted them as I have in the Past..

I know they are their....Had them fly into the tree was setting under..
Coyotes try to lick my face.. Lol

If n..your going to be successful..Got to be on top of the Bird Roosting.....The exact tree....

Has been the Hardest..Most enjoyed Turkey Season ever...

To all the Turkey Hunters..May all your Turkey Gobble and walk straight to the Gun..

Good Hunting these last few Days...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have hunted Parts of every day...of Turkey season...
Have killed at least one Turkey each season. Since 1979...
And hunted other States..and have been successful..
I could have killed Two Turkey easy if I had really hunted them as I have in the Past..

I know they are their....Had them fly into the tree was setting under..
Coyotes try to lick my face.. Lol

If n..your going to be successful..Got to be on top of the Bird Roosting.....The exact tree....

Has been the Hardest..Most enjoyed Turkey Season ever...

To all the Turkey Hunters..May all your Turkey Gobble and walk straight to the Gun..

Good Hunting these last few Days...
Did you have a stroke while you were typing this message? LOL.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
There's some great ideas in this thread which would be easy to implement. There's also a huge pile of malarkey, but we tend to wade through a lot of that around here.

All I know is the answer isn't easy and it won't happen quickly. I, for one, am thankful for those working on behalf of the AR wild turkey. Don't always agree with them, but that doesn't matter. I'll pretty much accept anything they want to try at this point if there is a chance of it bringing good results.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
There's some great ideas in this thread which would be easy to implement. There's also a huge pile of malarkey, but we tend to wade through a lot of that around here.

All I know is the answer isn't easy and it won't happen quickly. I, for one, am thankful for those working on behalf of the AR wild turkey. Don't always agree with them, but that doesn't matter. I'll pretty much accept anything they want to try at this point if there is a chance of it bringing good results.
Amen..

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
You don't get to amen my post when you accused those in charge of not caring and not doing enough or not doing anything meaningful.

Pick a side.

Doesn't mean we can't offer suggestions and disagree with them but you've raked them over the coals for the past couple years.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts