Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
I’d say my season has been great so far despite the fact I have not taken one home.
I was looking through my records for this year and I’ve got 12 days of scouting and hunting here in Arkansas. Of those 12 days only 3 were silent, but two of those days I was hunting some new scenery.
8 of those days I’ve heard multiple gobblers with the average of 30 gobbles a day, only one day did I hear a single gobble.
I’d say that’s pretty good for high pressure public land birds that have been called to and harassed since early March.
I’ll also add I’ve taken to two new turkey hunting, hunters this year as well, so that’s also a plus. One is new to hunting public land, course the day I took her it was windy and we only heard two gobblers.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This was worst season I can ever remember . I was on vacation opening week and I heard ONE turkey in the Ozarks . ONE, you heard that correctly . I heard him on the roost and as I moved closer I realized someone was already closer to him so I left and went looking for another . I honestly thought that I didn't need to kill a turkey or anyone else as far as that goes if our turkey population is in that bad . My brother heard four two of which were jakes , one was way off in the distance and the other someone bumped it after its first three gobbles or so, off of the roost . So it was terrible . I honestly wouldn't be upset if they closed it for a season to see if that helps. My question is what is being done to try and improve the population of Turkeys ?? I know the NWTF is still taking money and so are the other conservation groups . Just curious what is actually being tried to help the turkeys rebound from several down years .

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
On public land...Roads everywhere. Too much access. Not enough gates. More hunters than turkeys. They either dead or messed up bad after first several days. Turkeys are in pockets.

On private land..... seems they are spotty and where habitat is best / hunting pressure is low.

Again, I wish our season was a week shorter this year. And a one turkey limit might not be a bad idea.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts