Are you rich?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by johnf, Dec 24, 2010.

Are you rich

Poll closed Dec 29, 2010.
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

My daughter was asking me the other day about some things that she wanted for Christmas and I was saying how expensive they were and we just didn't have the money for everything. She said that she hated being poor. I told her that we were rich, but that there were people richer than us. Some of her closest friends at school are business owner's kids and folks with two income families in the medical field. Both parents make quite a bit more than me, though I do just fine.

So here was my definition of what rich was for her.

Lots of your friends get things that need for Christmas and their birthdays. They get new shoes, pants, shirts and coats. Their moms get dishes or cookware and their dads gets tools or clothes. Those people aren't rich. Those people may not feel or seem poor, but they aren't rich. We don't need new clothes. If I want tools, I just go get them. If your mom wants a new purse or we need new shoes, we just go get them. We have the things we need and we get for Christmas and birthdays the things we want. We don't need any of it, we just want it.

I'm not going to say what we all got for Christmas, but we didn't need any of it.

I grew up poor, I know what poor is. I'm very blessed and I know it.

So are you rich too??

2. John I saw a show on TV the other night and this young man fresh from overseas was explaining to his American friend his view of Americans and the stress they put themselves through during Christmas.. "You live in nice houses, you have a car to drive and you obviously have plenty to eat yet you stress out trying to buy the perfect gift to tell your loved ones that you love them.. Wouldn't it be simpler to just tell them??"

And yes, I'm rich as well..:up:

3. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

Financially no. But like you said, if I need something I go and get it, if it cost a lot of money I save up for it.

4. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

As long as I have a warm house, food in the fridge, and my family is healthy, I'm rich. The rest is all just glitter and gravy.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Rich in some ways, poor in others.

6. mikeg

mikeg Well-Known Member

x2

7. straight shooter

straight shooter Well-Known Member

Rich? no, blessed? yes! There is so much that could be taken from us.

8. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

I'm as broke as they come, we lost everything but the house last year due to medical bills resulting from our son, had to file chapter 13 to save the house. We live from paycheck to paycheck and sometimes wonder where we will get gas money. But i have food, water, a roof, the love of my life, and a very happy, healthy, and spoiled 14 month old, so yes, I am rich!

I used to have a nice truck, all the toys you could ask for, and more money than we could spend in a week, I thought I was rich then, but the smile from my sons face makes me realize I didnt have anything but a bunch of toys and cash.

9. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

:clap::up:

10. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

I voted no, because in this day and age most people only think money when they think rich. I am not rich in a monatery sense, maybe comfortable... I am loaded though in the sense that I have a wonderful family, a beautiful wife that loves me, a healthy child, and the saving grace of God. And I am happy, money cannot buy heaven, happiness or a loving family.

11. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

I voted yes cause I am rich in love from my wife an four kids. An I don't care what anyone says. Money can't buy love an I tell my kids that all you need in life is family, love, an God. I make good money to make my bills an pay for school so I am rich.

12. TacHunter

TacHunter Well-Known Member

I am rich!

I'm rich because over two thousand years ago on or about this very night the saviour of all man-kind was born. And he bore my sin on a cruel cross so that I might spend eternity with him. HE SAVED ME!! From a wretched life of sin and shame. And then, after he saw my obedeiance he blessed me with a wonderful family. A good job and food, clothing and shelter. I am rich beyond messure. Because I know that if I died tommorow I woul be joining my fellow Marines guarding the streets of gold.

Blessed be his name!!!!

13. rich in the sense of money? no im not . rich in the means of love yes i am i have all the basics house food cloths truck car and the ability to take care of my family thats where im rich wife kids mother brothers sister and my dogs love thats where im rich and actually rich in gods eyes because his love is forever no matter what :up:

14. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

I don't mind being poor it's just inconvenient at times.

15. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member

money? na....

Rich with money? Na....

But I have a few real good friends, a extanded family that drives me crazy, kids that love me and a wife who is way better then I deserve.

Am I rich? Damn Right.

Miketyson26 :flag:

16. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Rich in blessings, poor in money. I choose to be the way I am rather than some alternatives. Oh, I got 2 pairs of wool sox and a bottle of Stetson after shave for Christmas.

17. huskyman

huskyman Well-Known Member

Yes, we be rich alright! My Father owns cattle on a thousand hills, and as an old colored preacher once said, " all the taters under dem hills!" My family and I are richly blessed and for that I am thankful! Man I work for is LOADED with worldly possessions, many BIG boys toys, and he is always worried about how to gain more. His family constantly begging for handouts from him! I look at him with pity at times, I wouldn't trade places with him for all the tea in China. He's so miserable all the time! I may not have much in this life, but as long as I can pay my bills, feed my family, and go to Church, then I am Blessed! "What shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and lose his own soul, or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul!":up::thumb:

18. Rich is very much a relative term.....kinda like old!:biggrin: Compared to where I came from, I guess I'm rich. I'm sure there are those on the board that could buy and sell me several times over but that really has little to do with happiness, peace and joy.

After spending some time in 3rd world countries I can assure you that all of us on this board are 'rich' even if we don't feel like it. The fact that we have food and a computer verifies that.

I've been poor and I've been well off. I was just as happy while poor. One of the things we should all do is thank God for our many blessings. So many are struggling with health issues, lost jobs, deaths in their family, etc. at this holiday season. I pray for them.

Merry Christmas!:flag:

19. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

So compared to me, you're rich and old. :fit:

20. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

I am the richest in the world, God has blessed me with true love, a wonderful loving family, good health, great friends who stand beside me no matter what, faith, and the ability to enjoy all of his creations. I often wonder why God has blessed me the way He has, I know I am a good person, but I also know I could be better, yet He has touched my life in ways I only could have dreamed, so yes, I am the richest man alive. I hope you all feel the same.

Merry Christmas, Carl