Are yall seeing many squirrels this year?

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by F B, Dec 29, 2010.

1. F B

F B Administrator Staff Member

Cabot
    I havent been hunting for them but Im not seeing them in my yard and in the woods next to us like I normally do. Usually you can see one pretty much any time you look. Theyll even come right up to the house and get in our bird feeders but not this year.

Theyre pretty scarce around my part of the country.

Im wondering if maybe the dry summer had something to do with it.

Is it just around here or is it everywhere?

2. mikeg

mikeg Well-Known Member

Here in east Ar. it has been pretty as far as hunting

3. kendract

kendract Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I'm all that far from you in Little Rock. Most of my hunting was donw in West Little Rock area and I've seen squirrels during almost every hunt, only with the exception of maybe 2 times I went deer hunting. I went squirrel hunting once and we killed a few. Haven't had that problem in my area.

4. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

FB, I squirrel hunt on the Cache River Refuge. They are plentiful there. I had a pretty good year. I believe a man with a dog would have a field day there or just slip through the woods. After this rain it ought to be good to do some walking. Just make sure to have a compass or GPS.

5. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    In NW AR, the squirrel population seems to be down to me. I noticed that when I was bowhunting, I might see 1 or 2 a day instead of dozens that I normally would see. We've had light acorn crops for about 3-4 years running now though, so it makes sense.

6. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

I've noticed the numbers seem to be down this year as well, adn I DO think the dry summer has a lot to do with it. I have also been seeing fewer and fewer grays and more and more fox (which I'm not a fan of).

7. gunrunner1983

gunrunner1983 Well-Known Member

Hey fb I've got a ton of em! See probably 10 to 20 every deer hunt! I've even concidered takin my 22 one of these days but havnt yet if ya wanna come shoot some hollar at me sometime! I got a new phone and lost your number but ill pm you mine.

8. NWA Bowhntr

NWA Bowhntr Well-Known Member

I am not seeing very many here in NWA either. Like Hobbs said MAYBE 1 or 2 per hunt, with lots of hunts where I didn't see any!

9. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

We did Christmas at the lake and driving in from Oil Trough to Greers Ferry there is a dead squirrel about every 100 yards the whole way.

10. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I've seen more 8-point bucks and Turkey Gobblers this year than squirrels.

11. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    My son and I have been seeing a lot on our place in Sharp County. Now that deer season is over we are going to get the rimfires heated up.

12. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

Well on one place just a few, but we didn't have much acorns. I was out at white rock the othere day an the woods was cover in them. I also notice around my house there are alot more then there use to be. I counted like 12 this moring sitting on the toilet.

13. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

The population is way down compared to previous years. Just recently beginning to see some very young Grey's and no Fox Squirrels at all. :thumb:

14. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

so is that were you go the name "Dr. Death" ? :whistle:

15. bonecollector22

bonecollector22 Well-Known Member

usually always see alot but last sat. i bet i seen 200 squirrels not joking

16. Alpha

Alpha Member On Double Secret Probation

been shooten at them all day. and shot once and i bet 20 squirrels started climbing

17. ralin

ralin Well-Known Member

Done pretty good with my dog so far,Wattensaw,Bayou Meto,Redfield. Just finding the time to go is the hard part.

18. F B

F B Administrator Staff Member

Cabot
    Im taking two weeks off starting Saturday. We've got some plans but we need to try to get together and go.

19. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

On the Ridege they seem to be pretty stable. Saw more this year around Finch than I have seen in years.

Numbers about the same as last year out around Hooker and Beech Grove. The river bottoms should be full of them! Good mast and no water..... can't pop ducks so I may as well get some squirrels!

I shot six tuesday evening. Made a decent little mess. Three each fox and cat squirrels.

20. Vern Humphrey

Vern Humphrey Well-Known Member

My solution to that is the Hammond Game Getter.

That's a cartridge case with a steel head (base) chambered for a .22 blank. The chamber is offset so the centerfire firing pin hits the blank's rim. The bullet is a sized buckshot in the case mouth.

I carry mine in my coat pocket, and if the squirrels are threatening to carry me off, I slip out the round in the chamber, slip in the Game Getter and harvest a squirrel or two.