Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say they are!!! These deer are coming in and out of the sanctuary on my farm....lots of mid-day movement this late in the year and we have already taken 16 deer off my 140 acres....I'd say the sanctuaries are the key to keeping deer on a farm even with lots of killing going on. :up:

12-18-11 11:21 am

01-01-12 1004 am

01-01-12 14:56 pm

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
12-08-11 12:05 pm, this young buck summered about a mile east of me, but took a liking to my farm come the rut. Had him at 80 yards during gun season and he is very distinct with his long brows and g-4 that angles in on his right side. Just goes to show what a low pressure area can do. The farm is hunted a LOT during the season, but the sanctuary is never touched and we hunt the edges with the right winds.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of my farm, red blocks are the sanctuaries, green lines are where we walk to the green circles (stands). This gives me options for any winds that I may have. I do enter for TSI work on the sanctuary in later winter/early spring, but that is it. The blue box is a 20 acre piece that is not mine, but is not hunted so it serves as part of the sanctuary by default.

The yellow lines are deer trails (did not finish them for the entire farm yet....there are a lot to go through)

Why did I choose those areas to be sanctuaries? It was simple, they are too hard to get in and out un-detected so there was no reason to try and hunt them.

·
Premium Member
28,299 Posts
I agree with the sanctuary threory. This particular piece of ground that I own contains 140 acres - outlined in red. The area that we do not hunt is in yellow. There are a couple of 4-wheeler trails that pass through the sanctuary - but this does not seem to bother the deer at all. Green outlines are the foodplots. I am planting most of the pasture area in trees this winter, and it, too, will become sanctuary. Plenty of food and safe haven will keep the deer on your place. Last Tuesday evening, my wife and I were hunting two different stands and saw 22 deer - and I am sure we did not see all of them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last Tuesday evening, my wife and I were hunting two different stands and saw 22 deer - and I am sure we did not see all of them.
Yep, you can see deer all season long with sanctuaries. Can be hard for some people to not hunt a certain area or grasp the concept, but if you end up killing more deer and seeing more deer overall...then its worth it IMO.

Where are your stand sites/entry-exit points at?

·
Premium Member
28,299 Posts
Where are your stand sites/entry-exit points at?
All the stand sites are in or near one of the food plots with the exception of one. Most of the foodplots have a box stand or at leas a buddy stand, and they a single ladder stand positioned just off the foodplot on a trail for bow hunting. We don't kill many with a gun, although we hunt quite a bit - but most of them get a free pass. Most of our killing is done with our bow - and it is much easier for us to kill with our bows on a trail 20 yards from a foodplot than in the foodplot itself. Most of my woods are not oak - cedar and junk - box elder, cottonwood, ash - stuff the deer don't feed on. My woods are used for bedding and they travel out to the food plots or the swamp to the west of my place.

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,052 Posts
I try to have sanctuaries on my hunting grounds but their are too many people who sneak around and hunt anywhere they can sneak into and they pretty much shoot anything and ruin any chance of having such a place.its jan 5 and still all night pics on my places due to pressure. Oh ya Missouri doesn't gun hunt them for half the year either,that would also help with day movement.

·
Premium Member
28,299 Posts
I try to have sanctuaries on my hunting grounds but their are too many people who sneak around and hunt anywhere they can sneak into and they pretty much shoot anything and ruin any chance of having such a place.its jan 5 and still all night pics on my places due to pressure. Oh ya Missouri doesn't gun hunt them for half the year either,that would also help with day movement.
Is this occurring on your own private land or on a leased area with lease members?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I don't think the deer have gone so nocturnal due to pressure........all of our hunting areas receive limited pressure and have "sanctuary" areas.........deer have been hard to see all year.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think the deer have gone so nocturnal due to pressure........all of our hunting areas receive limited pressure and have "sanctuary" areas.........deer have been hard to see all year.
This years gun season was rougher than usual for me, the deer where there, but scattered all over the place with the HEAVY white oak acorn crop. Usually average seeing 30+ a day opening weekend of gun season....only had 7 walk by all day opening day. Their patterns had changed big time, they were covering the oak ridges instead of the creek bottom I overlook in the gun stand.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really depends on how a farm is hunted. During gun, we sit back off the funnels 100-150 yards or so and sit the farm every day of the season. They never know we are there that way, more pressure is put on them during bow season since you have to get right on their movement patterns to kill one.

Like swampcat asked, is this farm yours or a lease? If it is yours, you can start funneling deer down with hinge cuts of junk trees and make paths of lease resistance to make it easier to pattern the deer. Are your sanctuaries so thick that a hunter cannot see 5-10 yards in there? Most of mine is nasth enough that you ain't walking out with any clothes on if you attempt to go in there. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
28,299 Posts
We rifle hunt a lot around our foodplots, but rarely shoot one with a gun. So the deer get used to feeding unmolested in the foodplots. I live on my farm, and I am out almost daily, year round, doing something. Planting trees, cutting firewood, disking food plots, mending fence, tending to my bees, etc. The deer are used to my daily activity. Half the time they don't even run off when they see me on my 4wheeler. I have heard a lot of times to keep out of your deer woods so the deer wont get scared away. I think almost the opposite is true. I have another pc of ground that we use just for hunting. We are not there much in the spring and summer. The deer over there are much more nocturnal - because pretty much the only time we are there is when we are trying to kill them. When they see a 4wheeler , it is "run Forrest, run".

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We rifle hunt a lot around our foodplots, but rarely shoot one with a gun. So the deer get used to feeding unmolested in the foodplots. I live on my farm, and I am out almost daily, year round, doing something. Planting trees, cutting firewood, disking food plots, mending fence, tending to my bees, etc. The deer are used to my daily activity. Half the time they don't even run off when they see me on my 4wheeler. I have heard a lot of times to keep out of your deer woods so the deer wont get scared away. I think almost the opposite is true. I have another pc of ground that we use just for hunting. We are not there much in the spring and summer. The deer over there are much more nocturnal - because pretty much the only time we are there is when we are trying to kill them. When they see a 4wheeler , it is "run Forrest, run".
I agree!! The deer are never scared of from my vehicle since I am out there all the time and never harass them while in the vehicle. They will feed within 40 yards of my vehicle without a care in the world. Always out doing some work on the farm be it planting trees, spraying invasives, TSI, you name it so they know there are not any problems and the vehicle is never going to sling lead at em.

The plots for me are just for doe killing, when does need taken. It can be done as needed since they feel no pressure out in the plots and a few does can be taken off them in one evening....then leave them be for another month or so and start the process all over again. The bucks are hunted on the funnels that are easy to get into and out of and thats its.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I agree!! The deer are never scared of from my vehicle since I am out there all the time and never harass them while in the vehicle. They will feed within 40 yards of my vehicle without a care in the world. Always out doing some work on the farm be it planting trees, spraying invasives, TSI, you name it so they know there are not any problems and the vehicle is never going to sling lead at em.

The plots for me are just for doe killing, when does need taken. It can be done as needed since they feel no pressure out in the plots and a few does can be taken off them in one evening....then leave them be for another month or so and start the process all over again. The bucks are hunted on the funnels that are easy to get into and out of and thats its.

What are these "funnels" you speak of?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts