Are Gadwalls The New Mallard?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by duck, Dec 20, 2010.

1. duck

duck Well-Known Member

Ive duck hunted for about 42 years and I have never seen so many gad walls. It seems thats the new mallard. Everyone is killing so many these days. Years ago it was mostly mallards but now you look up and those stupid things will be cupped up from way up high in the sky and drop right in your hole. They are suckers for the robos. You can shoot them and sometimes they will come right back in. Crazy. Anyway, they are al lot of fun and it makes the day pass quicker I guess.

2. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

I don't get many at my place but I don't mind them. They are a fun duck to shoot and easier to work than mallards. I hane noticed a lot more of them in the past 5 years.

3. Heck yeah. I'll fill a tote with the "ever-elusive jagwall" any day of the week.

4. derk8586

derk8586 Well-Known Member

Yeah no joke! the other day we had 2 land about 80-90 yards out from the decoys. then we worked a group of mallards over the decoys and shot them. while re-loading my gun i look and the 2 gadwalls are flying right at the deeks and tried to land in the middle of them. Needless to say......they died!. haha:up:

5. timv

timv Well-Known Member

Gotta love the gadwalls saved many a hunt, dad and I were setting in the middle of the pond talking to some guys that hunt in front of us and a gadwall hen sets down 20 yards from us and it sets there just looking at us.

6. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

I love grey ducks.... but man I've seen them be harder than mallards to put on the water on the reservoir! Not always, but at least once a day; one group will make ya wanna pull out your hair!

I was talking to my step-dad a few weeks ago and we were talking about grey ducks and he was amazed at how many we kill nowadays. He said back when he still hunted ducks they were only 10 pts apiece but you just never saw any. Now he hasn't hunted ducks in at least thirty five years and maybe longer..... I keep trying to get him to go, but the way this year looks I can see where he wouldn't want to go.

7. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

Plus, they're tasty. :up:

8. snydedawg

Preach on it brother!!!! VERY tasty!!!

9. Marine911

Marine911 Well-Known Member

Ive been just about everyday this year. we usually hunt with a group of 6-8. so far this year we've killed around 600 ducks and i can bet you almost half or a little more have been gadwalls. ive never seen so many either. i like havin a limit of ol' greens but i'll haul out a mess of gaddys any day.

10. jas870

jas870 Super Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I like spoonies myself.

11. qwack smacker 1on1

qwack smacker 1on1 Well-Known Member

i ant sceeered to shoot a limit of gaddys

12. snydedawg

Man. I'd giggle all morning just to shoot spoonies!!!!

It is BAD up here!!!

13. LA.Call'emClose

LA.Call'emClose Well-Known Member

thank god for gray duck in our marshes in SW LA. they make up the majority of the big duck we shoot. January grays are pretty wily and elusive, more so than the mallards that occasionally wander into our part of the world

still love shootin mallard in the timber, but i have respect for a big daddy gaddy

14. scattersskybuster

scattersskybuster Active Member

ar co
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

15. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

I must be hunting different than y'all. I've only killed two all year. Mainly mallards so far for me.

16. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    I remember back in the 70's under to old point system grey ducks were 10 points each. Many a day we loaded up on them at Big Lake when noting else would work. Nothing like coming out with 30 to 40 Gadwalls for a morning hunt. Mallards were 35 points for Drakes and 90 points for hens. One drake and one Hen and you were done for the day.