Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Grand Member
15,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had an evil black rifle before, to tell the truth never really wanted one, I own more Ruger #1 and T/C Pro Hunter single shots than anything else, but I guess because of my hardheadedness and general stubbornness I couldn't take all the powers that be and anti-elite crowd telling me not to own one because I'll be taken over by the evil powers of the machine and converted into a slobbering mad dog killer. I bought one. Nothing fancy, S&W M&P Sport II. From what I've read and talked to a few folks, just a good basic AR type rifle. I also needed a truck gun for coyotes and such, at least that's my excuse and I'm stick'n to it.

Now I'm putting optics on it, my old eyes and bifocals aren't peep sight compliant. I'm either going to put a Minox ZA 5 HD 1.2-6x24 or a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24, both are 30mm tubes. I'm going to order one of them Monday morning, still debating which. What scope mounts do ya'll use on you AR's? And what height do I need to use with the standard AR type front sight. I'd like to stay as low as possible and with either of those scopes the objective is no problem, but is there a problem front sight interference with low or medium mounts ?

As always, thanks for your support. Sam

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I assume you rifle has a flattop rail. Mine has a removable handle and I mount my scope on that because it is high enough not to interfere with my EOTECH red dot sight. Even though the red dot partially blocks the objective lens of the scope you can't see anything more than a little shadow at the bottom and it is hardly noticeable.

·
Administrator
88,030 Posts
At 1x you'll see the front post in the scope. Once you get up to about 3 it'll grey out and fuzz out and you won't be able to see it.

As for scope mounts, there are a lot of great mounts on the market at whatever price you choose to pay. I have several Rock River mounts and Nikon one piece mounts on my AR's.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've never had an evil black rifle before, to tell the truth never really wanted one, I own more Ruger #1 and T/C Pro Hunter single shots than anything else, but I guess because of my hardheadedness and general stubbornness I couldn't take all the powers that be and anti-elite crowd telling me not to own one because I'll be taken over by the evil powers of the machine and converted into a slobbering mad dog killer. I bought one. Nothing fancy, S&W M&P Sport II. From what I've read and talked to a few folks, just a good basic AR type rifle. I also needed a truck gun for coyotes and such, at least that's my excuse and I'm stick'n to it.

Now I'm putting optics on it, my old eyes and bifocals aren't peep sight compliant. I'm either going to put a Minox ZA 5 HD 1.2-6x24 or a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24, both are 30mm tubes. I'm going to order one of them Monday morning, still debating which. What scope mounts do ya'll use on you AR's? And what height do I need to use with the standard AR type front sight. I'd like to stay as low as possible and with either of those scopes the objective is no problem, but is there a problem front sight interference with low or medium mounts ?

As always, thanks for your support. Sam
I'd go with the Vortex the 1x setting is pretty handy to have. And their warranty is amazing. For the life of the scope they'll fix or replace it no matter what.

Also if you order from primary arms you can get a wide choice of mounts at a discounted price bundled with the scope. http://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24mm-rifle-scope-ar-bdc-reticle/p/kt-se-1624-1/ they have the Burris PEPR as one option there.

·
Administrator
88,030 Posts
I'm slowly replacing some of my 1x red dot scopes with 1-4 or 1-6 variables with the lighted reticle. The versatility is great with the variables.

You can use 1x for close and quick and still crank it up to a higher magnification a little for longer shots.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I made the transition from 1x dot scopes to 1-4 variable this year, and have been very pleased.

Most low power variable scopes are not true 1x. (At least not the ones that don't require a bank loan.) But, even when you actually get 1.25x or 1.5x, they are still very fast up close with a lighted reticle. They really shine at 4x. I'm much more accurate and confident at longer ranges with magnification.

·
Grand Member
15,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ordered the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope and Burris PEPR QD Quick Detachable Scope Mount to go with it. Should be here Wednesday. According to everything I could find on it, its as true a 1X scope on lowest power as you can get without going to a true Tac scope in the high dollar range, Vortex claims it's a true one-power scope. Never had a Vortex and have heard lots of good things about them. Bee kind'a wanting to try one so, between the reviews and talking to the guys where I bought it I feel good about it. Find out soon!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I assume you rifle has a flattop rail. Mine has a removable handle and I mount my scope on that because it is high enough not to interfere with my EOTECH red dot sight. Even though the red dot partially blocks the objective lens of the scope you can't see anything more than a little shadow at the bottom and it is hardly noticeable.
Wait, what? Please post pictures.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
That's how you would mount it on a carry handle, but that would put your red dot on the quad rail. That means that you would have to un mount your scope every time you wanted to use your red dot.

Moral of that story is that that's a horrible set up. If you want multiple optics you need to go with a flat top receiver and quality QD mounts.

·
Registered
22,579 Posts
It'll fit. You need to use extra-high rings or one of the 1-piece mounts designed for AR's like those mentioned earlier in this thread.
I was wondering if it was too much scope. I did buy high rise rings but they weren't enough. The front of the scope was on the gun. I guess I'll need to order 1" rise.

Can you all post pictures and links to the scopes you are now using?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.