Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have put the long range rifle build on the back burner for a while since the rifle I want to build would cost as much as a nice used car. And AR parts are considerably cheaper and easier to buy one at a time than surgeon XL parts...

I have however been wanting to build an AR for a really really long time. I am wanting to build one that will end up having multiple uppers so I can just change out uppers depending on what I want to shoot at that point in time. Eventually I want to have an upper in each of these calibers, .300wm, .308 .556 and maybe even a .450 bushmaster or a .458csl. I want to do the original build in .556/223.

Now for the questions part...
What do I need do or consider when building this rifle to get what I want out of it in the long run?
What is the best rout to take building a ground up AR?
Should I buy complete uppers or can they be assembled with minimal gun smithing once the parts are purchased?

Any tips, pics, or tricks would be much appreciated! Thanks

· Administrator
91,832 Posts
308 Winchester will require a different frame than the 5.56/450BM/458 SOCOM/6.8/6.5, etc.

You can assemble a stripped lower in a very short time, usually 30 mins the first time, less than that after the first one.

Personally, unless you have some AR specific tools and a little AR knowledge, it's easier to buy complete uppers as they are assembled correctly and headspaced.

· Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr. Chitlin:1442454 said:
308 Winchester will require a different frame than the 5.56/450BM/458 SOCOM/6.8/6.5, etc.

You can assemble a stripped lower in a very short time, usually 30 mins the first time, less than that after the first one.

Personally, unless you have some AR specific tools and a little AR knowledge, it's easier to buy complete uppers as they are assembled correctly and headspaced.
what about the. 300 win? Does it fit the same frame as .308 or do I need to goget. 300 whisper/blackout?

· Registered
1,381 Posts
300 win is based off of a long action. Don't believe there are many if any resources for 300 mag in an ar platform. 300 blk and whisper can't be compared to 300 mag. The are for the most part a subsonic round with the availability of some supersonic loads with similar ballistics as 7.62x39. With the 308 platform you can do 243, 7mm-08, 260, and some other popular short action caliber. As far as the ar-15 platform I would advise shooting several different types of uppers. The reason I say this is bc my ar is on its 4th generation bc I keep finding things that I want to try. Also, optics are great but iron sights don't take batteries. So my suggestions is to always have a front and rear sight. There is nothing worse than getting to the range and finding out your battery is dead and you don't have any other sights.

· Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
demented:1442586 said:
Find and buy what you want, bring it down, we'll get it put together. I have all the tools, won't cost you anything but gas from Bryant to the 99 exit at Malvern
Now that's a deal right there...

I was kinda afraid that a .300 win in an AR would be next to impossible. No big deal though, guess one. 300 mag is really all I need so ill just keep the old 300 RUM with me :) It would be awesome to be able to change from a .556 to a .300 mag just by changing the upper and mag though

· Registered
1,404 Posts
Now that's a deal right there...

I was kinda afraid that a .300 win in an AR would be next to impossible. No big deal though, guess one. 300 mag is really all I need so ill just keep the old 300 RUM with me :) It would be awesome to be able to change from a .556 to a .300 mag just by changing the upper and mag though
Dtech and Olympic arms build a 300 WSSM upper (WSSM brass necked up) in an AR 15. Not near the ballastics of a 300 win but would be an excellent deer round. Now with that being said, I have a 25 WSSM Oly upper I deer hunt with that I very pleased with shooting 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I hand load for mine so I've tweaked mine a bit..:wink:

· Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell me if I'm missing anything on my parts list. Stripped lower, lower parts kit, pistol grip, stock, upper receiver/ barrel, gas block and tube, stripped upper, fore grip, bolt... what am I missing?

· Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tony r:1442787 said:
Tell me if I'm missing anything on my parts list. Stripped lower, lower parts kit, pistol grip, stock, upper receiver/ barrel, gas block and tube, stripped upper, fore grip, bolt... what am I missing?
does your stock have spring & buffer with it?
charging handle
you got complete bolt group?
fore grip? vert. grip or forearm?
I haven't actually bought any parts yet. This is a first for me and I am pretty uneducated in the world of ARr's but I am changing that right now.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.