AR-15's.. which one to buy

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by TurkeyAddict, Dec 17, 2012.

1. TurkeyAddict

TurkeyAddict Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>

I've made my mind up to go buy one ASAP just in case Obama is able to pull off what I'm afraid is coming. The thing is I know nothing about them. What brand/model do some of you guys have? I looked at some S&W and Bushmasters today. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. hogfan1

hogfan1 Well-Known Member

I bought a Windham Weaponary about two weeks ago. Its on it's way right now. I can't wait to get it. I went and bought an extra 30 rd mag for it today. I plan on buying a few more mags when I pick up the gun. I got a flat top so I will have to buy some iron sights until I can afford optics. My focus right now will be on mags and ammo. Check out the back story on Windham. Its interesting.

3. AF2007

AF2007 Well-Known Member

x2 on the Windham. I had two that both fell out of my fishing boat on beaver lake yesterday. Sank right to the bottom.

Anyway, before I lost them they were great guns that ran any ammo I put in them. Accuracy was at sub MOA with WPA 62gr SP with both and they really loved the winchester razorback .223 64gr. One had a Nikon prostaff and the other a burris 3x illuminated reticle.

Great firearms.

4. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

Good luck finding one. Right now, if you do find one, you'll probably pay through the nose for it. Prices are going nuts already.

5. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Excellent deer hunting round.

6. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Not that I would ever own a firearm, but ive heard those Windham are made in the old Bushmaster factory and some believe are better than the current Rem/Bushys. If you have $1000 to spend I'd say if you can find a Colt at WMT that is a fine way to go. I'd avoid this DPMS that don't have the dust cover and forward assist, even though they would probably more gun than you'll ever need. I really can't say any that I'd absolutely avoid, just make sure with this latest scare they aren't raising the price too much a little is fine supply and demand and all. If you had to choose between S&W and Bushy I don't think you'll got wrong, I might choose the S&W though.

Walmart hasn't raised their prices, and don't worry about it being from WMT it's the same gun that is probably 15% more at the LGS.

7. alexanderg23

NWA
  8. TurkeyAddict

9. NorthUnit

NorthUnit Well-Known Member

I finally decided to buy one today also.
    I got the Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced w/ magpul grips, stock and mag. Got it at Walmart.
    I also picked up 4 extra 30 rd clips from another store.
    Now I just need to start buying up some ammo and I should be set up pretty good.

10. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    You got a fine rifle. Congrats on beating the masses. :thumb:

11. chuckwagon

chuckwagon Well-Known Member

You remember where at?
    Got some diving gear. Could be a danger to the fish.

12. NorthUnit

If anyone wants a Sig or Colt M4 there is still one or two available at the Stuttgart Walmart for a decent price as of 12/17.

13. AF2007

AF2007 Well-Known Member

Haven't had the chance to take a deer with one yet but that's what I got them for!

14. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

How much is a "decent price"? ha. Seriously though how much are they?

15. NorthUnit

Just going off memory so i may be a little off, but i think Colt was $1097 and Sig M400 was $867 and M400 with Magpul was $917.

16. demented

demented Well-Known Member

Basically an AR is an AR is an AR.....With the exception of perhaps Olympic Arms they are all about the same, take the name off of these high priced "name brands" and I doubt anyone can tell what they are firing. I've owned Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Del-Ton plus no telling how many parts guns and they all shot the same. The difference is the features you choose such as chrome lined barrels and some bolt on stuff

17. TurkeyAddict

Well guys I broke down today and bought a bushmaster. Bad thing is before I got home it must have fell outta my truck. That kinda crap always happens to me. : ). In the rare event I find it I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

18. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

How do two AR's fall out of your boat???

Get a big magnet and drag the bottom or get someone that can dive to go get them... No way I'd leave them down there.

19. I'm pretty sure it's a "they fell out of my boat, (wink,wink)" deal.

20. alexanderg23

NWA
    Sorry for your loss...