Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I shot some cheapie Remington HP's through my AR-15 and it would jam every 4 or 5 shots. When I pulled out the jammed cartridge the bullet would be pushed down into the case at least 50% farther than normal.

I've shot several hundred rounds of Wolf HP's through it and it's never jammed once. One thing I noticed was the actual hole in the end of the Remington bullet was larger than the hole in the Wolf ammo. Also, the overall length of the Remington ammo was a tad shorter than the Wolf. I could see where the bullet was hitting the bottom edge of the chamber, thus causing the jam.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Bushmaster?

.270Win

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Does your rifle have the M4 feed ramps? Those would be little angled grooves cut into the barrel extension to guide the bullet tips into the chamber. It would be hard to describe, but I can try to take pictures of mine if you need me to.

Jams suck! :banghead:

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your rifle have the M4 feed ramps? Those would be little angled grooves cut into the barrel extension to guide the bullet tips into the chamber. It would be hard to describe, but I can try to take pictures of mine if you need me to.

Jams suck! :banghead:
It has several "rounded grooves" that encircle the entrance to the chamber, if that's what you're referring to. And that's what the Remington bullet tips were hanging on, then the bolt would come forward and push the bullets further into the case.

.270Win

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have what you think might be a crimp issue, send it back to us and we will take care of it.

Remington Product Services
Call 501-676-4197
Now that's some great service right there! Actually, the bullets belonged to my buddy in Missouri and he shoots them through his bolt action rifle without any problems at all. He had a ton of them and we were going to burn some up in the AR-15 but they wouldn't feed correctly.

Thanks again for the offer though! :up:

.270Win

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Last time I checked John.....that would put the Rem Plant ..........South of the Border............South side of I-40:biggrin::biggrin:

I had No problem with the Rem 5.56/223 ammo feeding this weekend!!
I had some problems with some Rem 45 auto ammo a few years back........but it had nothing to do with feeding/firing.............had to do with how it got out of the Plant and into my hands.the way it did:smack: I thought cummins might be getting a new resident:frown::banghead:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I had some problems with some Rem 45 auto ammo a few years back........but it had nothing to do with feeding/firing.............had to do with how it got out of the Plant and into my hands.the way it did:smack: I thought cummins might be getting a new resident:frown::banghead:
Don't suppose you would be interested in sharing any names? :cool:

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Don't suppose you would be interested in sharing any names? :cool:
The only names I know, are the people that offered a deal to me on the ammo..and both of them are lifelong friends, One of thems Dad and My Dad worked together, and neither work for Remington.....as far as where it came from, or who at the Plant, I know noone's name from Rem.,........

The deal was approx 1000rds of 45 Auto/230gr Ball ammo..supposedly factory seconds for $100 or $125...can't remember for sure.......I think it was available in 9mm/45/357 and maybe 38, all in loose/bulk ammo, no boxes........I bought some, and turned a few friends onto some........then 1 day, a guy with Remington and another remington man (with Rem. security) walked into a friends Pawn shop...nothing unusual, they stopped by often.....as they were leaving the owner, my friend, said something about the Ammo deal........that raised eyebrows...next thing you know, corporate security with Remington and the ASP were calling me!! and my buddies!!!! We were asked to return any ammo we had left from it...I had none...Remington saying it was Bad...over pressure etc, and not to shoot it as it was dangerous!! we returned what we had and that was it!! We were cleared of any wrong doing!!

They( Rem) knew ammo was leaving the plant, just didn't know how or by whom...or how much..I think they found out...but we never got anymore!!

One of my buddies carried a pick-up truck bed full to the ASP and turned it in!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!!! and that is the TRUTH!!!!!!!!

P.S. all we shot, of it, performed flawlessly:up:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
It has several "rounded grooves" that encircle the entrance to the chamber, if that's what you're referring to. And that's what the Remington bullet tips were hanging on, then the bolt would come forward and push the bullets further into the case.

.270Win
Sorry, I've been away...

The newest AR's have little ramps that extend downward at an angle from those "rounded grooves" you referred to, at about the 4 'o clock and 7 'o clock positions. They help guide bullet points into the chamber if the magazine lips aren't perfectly aligned. They sorta make the chamber end of the barrel look like a happy face with dreadlocks and fangs :biggrin:

Older AR's don't have 'em and the newer "M-4's" do. I think (but I'm not sure) that you can have those ramps milled into your assemble upper reciever. Also, make sure the feed lips on your magazine aren't bent or misaligned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.