Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had some mulching done on some land that I own. Is there anything that you can plant this time of year that will take hold and green up? In my searching I’m under the impression it would be a waste of time and money. What say you habitat guys.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You can get wheat to take root if you put it out just before or during a good soaking rain.
Rye will too but I’ve never had the deer eat it much until late winter when everything else is gone.

·
Premium Member
29,427 Posts
I agree - winter rye - grain - will probably do something. Probably have to order it. My deer will eat it in a plot by itself. I have planted half a plot with it and they will walk through the rye to get to wheat.

·
Premium Member
29,427 Posts
Is winter rye winter wheat?
No. Winter rye is a grain similar to wheat, but a little smaller. The plant grows taller than wheat in the spring. It is more winter hardy and is often preferred over wheat by northern food plotters. The seed seems slightly easier to germinate than wheat when used for throw n mow type plots. It does very well in Arkansas. It is not to be confused with annual rye grass

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
As warm as it has been I wish I’d waited to plant my grains in Mid Oct. some of mine I think has got to tall. Not as palliative now. Clover could be sowed right now, I wonder if it might germinate though so it doesn’t matter if you sow it now or Jan or Feb, the biggest concern sowing it right now would be rain washing it off if it had any slope. I always wait till end of January on frost seeding.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
No. Winter rye is a grain similar to wheat, but a little smaller. The plant grows taller than wheat in the spring. It is more winter hardy and is often preferred over wheat by northern food plotters. The seed seems slightly easier to germinate than wheat when used for throw n mow type plots. It does very well in Arkansas. It is not to be confused with annual rye grass
Thanks SC!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts