Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you use your crossbow to hunt small game with? rabbits , squirrels, varmints. do you or can you use blunt or target points . i would think for small game the shock would kill them or use a small hard rubber tip.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Shot at a turkey last Feb. and missed. Undersestimated the distance. Made him do the turkey in the straw dance! Shot an armadillo once. Ruined a decent bolt on him!:mad: Check out the bowhunting contest and see the variety of possibilities! Usually, when I deer hunt, I deer hunt!

·
Registered
Marlin .308 Bolt and Compound Bow ..
6,005 Posts
I have shot Deer, Rabbit ,Turkey,Coons, and a Squirrel with my XBow...on small game I use a field tip as for ruining a bolt I use carbon and I was shooting into grass on rabbits I probably killed 5 with 1 bolt.. I use older used arrows like for target practice to toss at small game :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I have shot Deer, Rabbit ,Turkey,Coons, and a Squirrel with my XBow...on small game I use a field tip as for ruining a bolt I use carbon and I was shooting into grass on rabbits I probably killed 5 with 1 bolt.. I use older used arrows like for target practice to toss at small game :thumb:
That makes sense. A broadhead would scramble a squarrel up pretty bad!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I use carbon bolts on my crossbow and carbon gold tips with my matthews. I don't go squiirl/rabbit hunting with them exclusively anymore, but I have a bad habit of shooting a squirrel or rabbit every now an then, when nothing else seems to be stirring, before I get down off of stand. I normally pin them to the ground. I have also made several head shots with bow and crossbow, and you are right, it is fun. I use to shoot an older bow, and I shot instinctive, I like to slip along after a rain and hunt for rabbits and squirrels. I have sliped to within 10' of squirrels on the ground and taken them with a bow after a slow shower.

·
Super Moderator
14,354 Posts
I've killed a few squirrels with my crossbow. You know---you gotta check to make sure it's shooting right before you get down---and if there's a squirrel close by---it can be fun. Squirrels are the only thing I've killed on video. Pin 'em to the ground!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I've killed a few squirrels with my crossbow. You know---you gotta check to make sure it's shooting right before you get down---and if there's a squirrel close by---it can be fun. Squirrels are the only thing I've killed on video. Pin 'em to the ground!
Yes'r when the hunts bout over if some of them squirrels are around its safety off and sqeeez

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.