Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad I didnt have any traps in the ground this week. Supposed to get about 4 “ rain when all said and done.
I know. I’m going to set probably a dozen dog proofs tomorrow and let them set overnight and just pull them Saturday morning. I would like to get a line out put I’m not going to fight the rain and mud right off the bat.

· Registered
11,755 Posts
I have set 5 Victor#3 Coils in my buddys ponds to try and catch the otters eating his fish. Otter got in 1 the first night and pulled out. Bled like a shot deer. Hope it is dead. Reset the.same trap and had another trip it and pull out the next night. Caught a.coon that drowned in the other pond.

· Registered
3,455 Posts
I have set 5 Victor#3 Coils in my buddys ponds to try and catch the otters eating his fish. Otter got in 1 the first night and pulled out. Bled like a shot deer. Hope it is dead. Reset the.same trap and had another trip it and pull out the next night. Caught a.coon that drowned in the other pond.
If you want to hold an otter in a Num3, you’ll need a drowning set.

· Registered
3,455 Posts
Why? I've held them in #3 rubberjaw.
Mostly foot/leg shape and being wet. When otters were restored to their native range they were trapped with tiny little traps like #11. It can be done. But anything smaller than a number 5 is asking for trouble. And most of the time guys trapping legally in Arkansas with a #3 coilspring are running offset jaws. But really, anytime you’re trapping leg holds on beaver or otter, why not drown em and know they’ll be there?

· Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you trapping creeks or do you have feeders? We always start at the bait stations with a half dozen minimum and knock out all the easy ones first.
The place we set yesterday we don’t have feeders or feed corn on. It has a beaver pond and a small creek on it. So we just set on sign. We usually do pretty good there so today was unusual

· Registered
2,032 Posts
I’ve got 3 grinners and a couple coons. The grinners with a Belisle 160 bucket set. Speaking of the grinners, this was my first year using the bucket set, and a Belisle for that matter. First night, something went into the bucket, peeled the sardine can top all the way back, and got out without tripping the trap. I thought I had the whisker triggers spread enough to catch anything, certainly something strong enough to peel a can of sardines open. So I thought I’d set a trail cam on the bucket and see WTH was going on. Grinner comes up, BAM. A couple minutes later, another grinner shows. Six different times, within the next 18 minutes, this second grinner tries to climb over his dead compadre, to get inside the bucket. Finally gives up.

· Registered
3,455 Posts
I’ve got 3 grinners and a couple coons. The grinners with a Belisle 160 bucket set. Speaking of the grinners, this was my first year using the bucket set, and a Belisle for that matter. First night, something went into the bucket, peeled the sardine can top all the way back, and got out without tripping the trap. I thought I had the whisker triggers spread enough to catch anything, certainly something strong enough to peel a can of sardines open. So I thought I’d set a trail cam on the bucket and see WTH was going on. Grinner comes up, BAM. A couple minutes later, another grinner shows. Six different times, within the next 18 minutes, this second grinner tries to climb over his dead compadre, to get inside the bucket. Finally gives up.
Yeah they don’t care. A super effective setup is to use some hardware cloth and make a double ended cubby custom fit to your trap, with a 160 in both ends. I add a little bait cage in the middle with a door to the cage on top. You can add your can of sardines, cat food, whatever inside the bait cage so they can’t get to it, along with any mice or rats. You can also use them underwater for otters with live fish inside the bait cage. You can put your trigger on the bottom, but it’s tricky….

· Registered
280 Posts
Got 4 dozen of those 160s ready to go.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts