Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing some reading about food plots and tree plots I ran across some trees Dunstan Chestnuts. They are supposed to grow 2-3 feet a year and produce chestnuts in about 3yrs from September- November and deer are suppose to love them, kinda sound like sawtooths. Anybody in Arkansas ever planted them. They look like they are mainly in the east coast to Mississippi area.

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
While doing some reading about food plots and tree plots I ran across some trees Dunstan Chestnuts. They are supposed to grow 2-3 feet a year and produce chestnuts in about 3yrs from September- November and deer are suppose to love them, kinda sound like sawtooths. Anybody in Arkansas ever planted them. They look like they are mainly in the east coast to Mississippi area.
It’s been discussed on here before.
Seems most people haven’t had much luck with them.
I planted two about 7 or 8 years ago and the deer ate the leaves off one and killed it and a buck rubbed the other and killed it.
So I guess deer do apparently like them…

·
Premium Member
29,490 Posts
I planted two about seven years ago. I caged them. Neither is over 12 ft tall. One tree is bushy and blooms a lot and has never produced a bur. The other tree is kind of weak looking, doesnt bloom much, and produced five burs with seed this year for the first time. The seeds were not expelled from the burs. Nothing ate them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Put out pin oaks and sawtooth oaks. They are fast growing/ fast producers and seem to do well with Arkansas climate. Fruit almost every year and critters like the acorns well. I’ve got a lot of other types of oaks that I set back 20 to 30 years ago and just now seeing acorns. White oak acorns are best, but it looks like mine are going to over 30 years to produce.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Keifer pear trees pretty hard to beat for toughness and wildlife. Seems like an old pear tree around every old home place. Deer love them. Pretty disease resistant.
BEARS…..tear them up around here before they ever fall to the ground. If not them, then the squirrels raid them until they’re gone. No success for me.

·
Premium Member
29,490 Posts
BEARS…..tear them up around here before they ever fall to the ground. If not them, then the squirrels raid them until they’re gone. No success for me.
I bet bears would be a huge problem. That is what I need at my place - bears. Fit right in with hogs and alligators

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I planted 8 about 5 years ago. All are doing well. One started producing in year 3 the rest started the next year. Big bushy trees so spread them out. I caged them all and mulched them early to keep grass back. Something is eating the the fruit after the shell pops open. Haven’t put a camera on them. I try to plant some type of trees every year. Planted live oaks last year as they seem to drop acorns later in the year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts