Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you have planted alfalfa for deer. I've had really good luck with a clover/chicory mix, but was thinking about adding alfalfa this fall in another 1/2 acre plot. Anybody had any luck with it?

·
3,605 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have planted alfalfa for deer. I've had really good luck with a clover/chicory mix, but was thinking about adding alfalfa this fall in another 1/2 acre plot. Anybody had any luck with it?
Alfalfa is tough to grow in Arkansas. They have some luck with it in sandy areas though. You might try Toltec alfalfa farm in Keo for advice.

·
13,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna mix it with clover and chicory. If the alfalfa doesn't make it, I know the clover and chicory will...:up:

·
13,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where you getting the alfalfa from?
A few of the food plot companies offer it. I'm gonna try the Mossy Oak Biologic alfalfa. You can get a little 1 lb. bag for $9.99 from Bass Pro. It's supposed to cover 1/4 acre. I figure that's the cheapest way to try it, since I don't even know if it'll work.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
I may get a bag, plant it in 2009....at the beginning of the growing season....takes a long time to reach maturity....at least, it did on the ranch I worked on in California.

·
13,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that's a fact, then I'll go for it...are they saying it will come up before winter hits?:head:
Yeah, but it needs a certain amount of time before the first frost....Not sure how long.

From what I've read, it's pretty touchy to soil ph, like clover. I know this particular plot will grow clover, though. I dunno, I guess will see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
alfalfa

We grew some at the last place I worked for Dairy cows. We planted it in the spring so that we could cut hay for the next winter and ease the pain of purchasing it. Here is the deal with alfalfa. You need to plant it in the fall for the main reason of dealing with competition. You want the alfalfa to get some size on it before the summer grasses start to grow as they will choke it out. If you get serious about you can purchase roundup ready clover and just keep it sprayed with roundup or some sort of glyphosate. It is a contact killer and will kill everything it touches except for the genectically enginerered alfalfa. You have a year or two to see if it is what you want before you will be able to buy the roundup ready stuff again because they took it off of the market for a little while. The USDA is making them run some more tests on it but I suspect they will put it up for sale in another couple of years. Where most people go wrong with alfalfa is the planting depth. It is like clover, no more that 1/4 " in the ground or it won't germinate as well. It would be best to hit it with about 50- 75 lbs. of nitrogen at planting to help it take off, other than that it will supply its own N. Take a soil sample to see where your P and K is running. If you have to put any out it might be better for you to put out chicken litter instead of fertilizer because the last time I priced DAP ( or phosphorus) it was approaching $1000/ ton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.