Anyone planning on coon hunting tonight in the snow?

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by JJGrey, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JJGrey

JJGrey Member

Just wondering if anyone was planning on coon hunting tonight?
    Did anyone go last night?
    Was it any good?

2. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

I have hunted before in the snow. But I doubt I will till its gone. It is to hard on the dogs feet. Especially When it freezes hard like it will be tonite. Last night should of and would have been the best out of the two buts that is in the past now.LOL!!

3. We went last night and treed one. It was miserable cold. There were a ton of coon tracks in the snow. We were going to go tonight too but the wind chill is just way too cold!!

4. englishdawgs

If your hunting in this crap you guys and Gals are alot tougher than I am. LOL!! You can call me what you want but me or my dog has nothing to prove by hunting in this type of weather.:fit:

5. It actually wasn't that bad really. It was super cold, but once we got off in the woods where the wind was blowing it wasn't quite as cold. We really just wanted the dogs to get to stretch their legs more than anything. It was fun though. :)

6. englishdawgs

I dont mind the cold. I can hunt in any temps just fine as can my dog. I just dont like running my dog in the Frozen snow. It is real bad on a dogs feet. Dogs just as capable of getting frost bite as we are. Just because your dog has tough feet doesnt mean it is protected from the Ice and snow. Besides in my 17 years of coonhunting i have noticed that when the weather is like it is right now 95% of the coons come down in the middle of the day when its is warmer. YOu might tree one right off the bat but it will slow pretty quick unless you have a extremely cold nosed dog. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

7. Like I said, we treed one, then came home. We weren't out more than an hour.

8. englishdawgs

No need to get a attitude. I wasnt being rude or bad mouthing you for going. I am glad you had a good hunt and had fun. Thats all that matters I was just giving my opinion. :up::up:

9. englishdawgs

Its cool. What breed of dogs to you hunt.

10. Walkers. We have two, Buddy and Ellie Mae. Ellie Mae is mine and we are just starting on her.

11. Thanks. Buddy is awesome. I think that Ellie is going to be really good too. :)

12. englishdawgs

When you get 15 post you should but some pictures on the coonhunting threads in the hunting dog forum. We have quit a few already on there of all different kinds of dogs. Check them out.

By the way JJGREY sorry for highjacking your Thread. Just got carried way talking dogs.

13. Thread derailing is always imminent. :)

Thanks, I will definitely go check them out!