Anyone noticed??

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by J. Adams, Jan 9, 2011.

1. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

red legs showing up this week?

2. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

Yes they are finally here!

3. zpenter

zpenter Well-Known Member

do you know why thay have red legs? cant wait to hear the answers

4. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

I thought it had something to do with new suck coming into the area

5. J. Adams

new ducks
    I have a buddy that can tell you what state they came from usually

6. nick83

nick83 Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>2014

cabot
    I have heard hormones.

7. J. Adams

my brother had those in junior high but he grew out of it

8. Greenhead Jed

Greenhead Jed Active Member

AR
    Old duck hunter told me the bright red legs have just come down from the icy north. The cold water makes them bright red. If you don't believe it, go down to your nearest water hole and stick your bare feet in for ten minutes. Same will happen to you. Dull color orange legs have been in the mild southern climate for a while.

9. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

I heard it happens bc they are closer to mating.

10. ducks an diesels

ducks an diesels Well-Known Member

yes i did notice that myself lots of new birds in the last few days .

11. J. Adams

most of what we are seeing are from ks and ne

12. MollyWhop

MollyWhop Well-Known Member

This one makes sense to me. Ducks do seem to be pairing up. Been seeing lots more pairs late in the morning than usual.

13. zpenter

nick83 is correct

its not the cold or what state the bird comes from. it is hormones. the red leg is part of the full plumage of the bird. or maturity tell the old timer to go get a duck in the middle of the summer and put his leg in the coldest water for however long he wants and it will not get orange or red just cold!:up: the reason most people think its the cold is the birds that are the last to show up are the ones that are in full plumage and the later thay show up yes the colder it is, but it is also the longer the bird has had time to mature. no not all birds have time to mature in the same year some are the younger of the bunch more like a 13 instead of a 19 year old

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  14. Greenhead Jed

AR
    So what do pairing up and bright red legs have in common? I would think dull leg southern mallards like to pair up and mate too. We killed one this morning with legs so bright I'll bet that duck was on the Great Lakes less than 48 hours ago.

15. J. Adams

zpenter, this really isnt true is it? that has to be some kind of "duck blind" mythology?:smack:

16. shiftymcfive01

shiftymcfive01 Super Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2013

you guys realize water can only get so cold before it's ice right?

red legs coincide with mating plumage. ducks will also be getting their most vibrant colored feathers and brightest colored beaks over the next month or two. they are getting pretty to help attract a mate. think about a gobblers head when he's strutting, similar deal.

17. J. Adams

shifty those big northerns get the red from walking and sleepin on so much ice, then swimming in that cold clear water

18. Greenhead Jed

AR
    No plumage difference in the dull orange leg mallards and the bright red mallards. That hormone thing has to be a wives tale some uneducated dude came up with. I'm looking at my mounted mallard on the wall right now. Very bright red legs. He was banded in Central Saskatchewan less than a week before I killed him.

19. zpenter

shfity is right j adams

20. mach316

mach316 Well-Known Member

Its hormonal changes due to the mating process, not cold weather. :smack: