Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
I have a 7mm and 243 in Ruger #1. My friend has a 7mm stw, 7mm, and an old #1V in 300 win mag (very hard to find). All of the guns listed have shot very well. The 7mm STW shoots exceptionally well with a muzzle brake. As with everything else, other people's opinions may vary.

· Premium Member
3,370 Posts
As in how well do they shoot on average? For some as yet unknown reason I find myself wanting to own a stainless steel in .308.
Your not the only one. I love Ruger rifles and some day I want a Ruger #1 .308 in stainless steel too. A 1 inch group at 100 yards is well within spec. They are super nice and accurate. Its what many would call a "gentlemans deer rifle".

Miketyson26 :flag:

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For some reason-Price? Single shot only? they are not common. I can remember though, back in the day when bolt guns were not seen in all that many deer camps. I suspect this being partly due to the popularity of running dogs, bolt guns were seen as too slow to work well on running deer. Was my attitude back then anyhow.

· Registered
333 Posts
demented, even when I hunt with a bolt gun, I only put one round in the gun. For me, putting more than 1 round in the gun was planning to fail. I kept another round at the ready, but just thinking I only had 1 round made me take better shots. This made going to a single shot gun a little easier for me.

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I admit running three in my bolt action...not because I expect to need more than one round if a deer shows itself, I just don't wanna have to dig out more shells and reload if a second or third walks out!

· Registered
5,785 Posts
I have one in stainless with laminate stock. It won't hit the same spot between range sessions and has flyers way off paper. It's been back to ruger and to a smith and still not right. I need to fish it out of the safe and send back to ruger or sell it to someone who wants to tinker with it. Gun ticks me off just thinking about it

· Registered
4,141 Posts
I went thru Saturday looking for another 788. We left there about 11:30 and it was still there then because I went back to look at it before we left. I sure wish there was some relaoding supplies at these gun shows like there used to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.