Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not going to mention exactly where it was killed or by who..but it came off I’d the floodway ditches in the bootheel of Missouri. Was killed the first couple of days of the slug hunt. This guy didn’t have any trail cameras out or even know of the deer. He just took off on foot and walked in jumping deer up and this happen to be one of them. The crazy thing is...people are saying that there was trail cam pics down around the Trumann/Marked tree area. That’s 50 miles away...with Sunken Lands and Big lake both in between the 2 areas. Never heard of a buck traveling that kind of distance. I did have one travel 7-8 miles on time, he was easily identified by the yellow tarp hanging off of his right side. He had tore a tarp that was plugging a hole next to one of our drainage gates. Anyone heard or seen this??

B7C89FE9-0727-4658-BB1B-9F60501D6BC0.jpeg

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have often wondered how far they go
Most of the research I did says mature bucks stay within a one mile radius outside of the occasional excursion 2-3 miles out. I can totally believe anything though because i think they are individuals and there are always the few that dont follow the pattern of most. 50 miles is a long ways for a deer but that one being so unique hard to say it aint so

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
I've seen reports of deer going 10-12 miles from one area to another during the rut, but 50 miles is insane! Wasnt it a few years ago there was a hen turkey with a radio collar that traveled over 100 miles from the ozarks over into Oklahoma to nest? Or did I dream that up.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Also will say I been hunting some public ground that is pretty big i guess. I have had trail cam pictures of bucks that may never come down the trail again, some that hang out for a couple days, and some that are more regular. Most of the regulars have disappeared now to parts unknown. Some will show back up on camera next year some dont. Its just way different than the smaller parcels where you see the same bucks all the time because its either a real good place to be or there isnt anywhere better to go.
In the big woods there seems to be a lot of passing through once the rut starts. Most at night of course.
I cant help but think they are just crusing for a hot doe, if they find one they may stay a day or two, if not they are a mile away or more in 20 minutes and just never look back

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
50 miles..wow. That's a ways. I've seen where I suspected they'd travel 7-8 miles, but heck, that one may have went much farther. No one I'd know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts