Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I didn't get past field testing the 3 blade Rage heads. They would not group. I tried them on my bow and my wifes crossbow. 6" to the left then to the right. I suspect a blade was opening in flight, put shockwaves on hers and it was right back in there. Put spirfires back on mine and I was too. Some like em, but a mechanical should shoot like a mechanical.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
I bought a pack of 2 blade Rage Broadheads, and I don't know if I am going to like them. I guess if the blades have resistance against them they will stay in "deployed" mode. I pushed mine through a 1" styro board, it did do a 2" cut, but after it got through the blades kinda just knocked back in forth.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
I ve had 2 bounce offs with Jackhammer sst expandables out of a 150 pound crossbow. They stuck in the deer and fell out on the same side as the hit.
I think you'll like the magnus heads if you can get them to fly well. Magnus es are tough and have been around a long time. They aren't the newest name with some vicious sounding name that implies instant death. They are just good reliable heads that work.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I bought a pack of 2 blade Rage Broadheads, and I don't know if I am going to like them. I guess if the blades have resistance against them they will stay in "deployed" mode. I pushed mine through a 1" styro board, it did do a 2" cut, but after it got through the blades kinda just knocked back in forth.
I like mine they sure make a hole.....

hillbilly......May be wrong but I dont think they made mechanicals to be shot out of a Xbow........Just that sudden wham when you shoot will open most...:up:

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I shot the Rocket "Ultimate Steel" fixed blade broadheads for a while, but I lost blades in a couple of deer and one in a turkey....:down: Can't have that! I switched to Muzzy 4 blade 90 gr and really like 'em......:up:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
That was kind of my thinking, till it did the same thing with my matthews Q2XL, but hers does fine with the shockwave expandables from NAP, and they have O'rings. Horton and a few other crossbow companies sell spitfire and other expandables in their crossbow packages. Don't know about he 2 blades, I have heard good and bad, but for the 3 blades, my 2 cents is all the rage is a little hype. Tested my slick tricks on my Matthews this weekend. got to do some blood trail testing here in October, but so far I think they are a pretty slick trick for shooting. I shot each one followed by a field point and it was follow the leader every time. I'm impressed, at least with the 85 grains flight and field point accuracy.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That was kind of my thinking, till it did the same thing with my matthews Q2XL, but hers does fine with the shockwave expandables from NAP, and they have O'rings. Horton and a few other crossbow companies sell spitfire and other expandables in their crossbow packages. Don't know about he 2 blades, I have heard good and bad, but for the 3 blades, my 2 cents is all the rage is a little hype. Tested my slick tricks on my Matthews this weekend. got to do some blood trail testing here in October, but so far I think they are a pretty slick trick for shooting. I shot each one followed by a field point and it was follow the leader every time. I'm impressed, at least with the 85 grains flight and field point accuracy.
Yeah I shot ST's year before last and WOW they are a great bh..... Never seen a fixed blade fly as good as they did...Just wanted to try the Rages (2blade) and they are pretty awsome to..

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm not a fan of the 3 blade rage broadheads. I did shoot a buck with them last year and I posted a pic of the exit hole because it was the biggest I've ever seen. However it was about 4 inches back. I made the mistake of hunting with them because they were a mechanical without first shooting them. I ran out of slick tricks and just picked up a pack of the rages before a trip. After hitting the deer a little far back when the shot was only 16 steps I decided to shoot the other heads in the pack. They were all over the place. I think the cause was the cut on contact tip was off centered on all of the heads I bought. It attached with an allen head bolt and they were all offset to on side. I tried to spin the arrows and they would wobble severely. Fortunaley I was able to recover my deer, but a big hole isn't all that good if its not in the right spot. I think I'll steer clear of the rages in the future. Just my 2 cents.
Here's a pic of the exit hole.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I used NAP Nitrons last year and wasn't too impressed with them. They shot with my field points, but the blades got real loose after being shot. They never completely failed, but I don't feel comfortable shooting them again.
I'll probably be shooting Muzzys this year. I might even join the cult and start shooting Slick Tricks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I didn't get past field testing the 3 blade Rage heads. They would not group. I tried them on my bow and my wifes crossbow. 6" to the left then to the right. I suspect a blade was opening in flight, put shockwaves on hers and it was right back in there. Put spirfires back on mine and I was too. Some like em, but a mechanical should shoot like a mechanical.
You might check the oring on them i know they dry rot pretty quick. i had to replace the ones on mine. i have read that if it is dry rotted they will open in flight.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
No mention of thunderheads yet...but then I guess this is a "broadheads you have had BAD luck with" thread isn't it. :thumb:
That's right!
I had a warden in Oklahoma hold me up for a couple hours because he thought I had rifle shot a buck. Those Thunderheads blew right through that buck! I have only had good luck with them.

I know a lot of people like them, but I've had too much bad luck with expandables. I used some Rockets and some others that I cant remember way back when I was too lazy to worry about broadhead flight. Never again!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I started using Grim Reaper mechanicals last year and really like them. They shoot just like a field point. I did shoot a deer last fall with them but due to operator error did not retrieve the deer. I did get a complete pass through and lots of blood. I was hunting during the snow after Christmas and by the time I got back to track the deer the snow had started melting which eliminated my blood trail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.