Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
That first picture looks really phony, photo shopped maybe,
and second, if I seen a deer that actually looked like that in the woods
I would kill it but I ain't touching it.:bolt: I would call authorities and give directions and that would be as far as I would go, other than find another strip of woods to hunt.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
First of all, Nuclear waste is not buried.... ever !! All nuclear waste goes to a federal / national repository.

Second, what that deer has is a bunch of Benign tumors that look gross, but are harmless. I have seen a study of a deer exactly like this, but there was nothing " wrong ". There are humans who have the same type of disease, with a bunch of " warts " ( huge ones ) all over their body...... but it is not a " disease " but more of a CONDITION.... They are not " SICK " per se .... but it certainly is not attractive..... But no, I wouldn't want that deer either , and I say that knowing there is nothing wrong with it... It just gives me a bad case of the willies.......:yikes: :bolt:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it was photo shopped b/c there were several more in the group that I didn't post. The email said it was taken in Louisiana at a place called Campbell Wells in Grand Bois. Said it was near Houma and LaRose.:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
And now the rest of the story

I ain't sayin your wrong but I used to work for a molding company that actually made nuclear waste containers that were shipped to burial grounds in N. Carolina.:dontknow:
Ok, I'll set this straight on both accounts. Being a veteran of 26 years in nuclear power, I know what happens to nuclear waste (at least from commercial nuclear power facilities). And I've killed deer with skin conditions like this, albeit not this extreme. A few years ago, I killed a doe that had been around the place that had a patch of that stuff on her shoulder. It's only on the skin and doesn't hurt the meat. Although that one looks so gross I don't think I could even shoot it much less eat it. As indicated in a previous post it is something like warts, which is a viral skin disease. Toxins tend to kill an animal from the inside out and have little effect on the skin outside of a rash or something.

Now on to nuclear waste. What happens to nuclear waste depends on its specific activity - i.e., whether or not it is low level waste (radioactively contaminated trash like clothing, bags, rags etc.) or high level waste (spent nuclear fuel). It used to be that low level waste was packaged in 55 gallon drums and buried in one of two places in the country, Hanford, Washington or a site in Barnwell, South Carolina. These days, most of it is burned and the ash packaged and buried. Again in one of the two aforementioned sites.

High level waste like spent nuclear fuel is handled differently. Upon initial removal from a reactor, it is stored in large concrete water-filled pools. Once the pools are full, the fuel that has had some time to decay is moved to concrete silos and stored above ground. Eventually, (when we can get the dumb A** liberals to come to their senses) the high level stuff will be sent to an underground storage facility like Yukka Mountain in Nevada.

At least that is what happens with commercially-generated nuclear waste. I suspect that waste generated at hospitals and the the Department of Energy is pretty much the same. The DOE used to do a less-than-stellar job of handling waste at their sites, but those have been cleaned up years ago.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Speaking to the nuclear waste and how it pertains to deer, I lived in northeast TN and we had a draw hunt for Oak Ridge Nuclear facility which is right outside of Knoxville,TN. If you shot a deer on any of their hunts, the deer had to be tested for radiation. From what they told me, more of the radiation is stored in the bone mass of the deer and they test each deer thoroughly before releasing it to the hunter to take home. I know that several hunters have had to leave some real nice trophies due to this. It's a shame, but better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.