Anyone get shingles

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ARoutdoorman, Feb 3, 2018.

1. ARoutdoorman

ARoutdoorman Well-Known Member

Bigelow
    I got hit with the flu last week and after a couple days of meds I had a bad outbreak of something on my thigh and lower back..been causing me so much pain!!! I spoke to my wife’s aunt today and showed it to her and she told me it was shingles..my MIL (the personally elected “doctor” of the family) thinks it’s just a rash..mainly cuz she doesn’t want her sister in law to be right..anyone had any experience with this stuff..whatever it is has my lower back hurting so bad I can barely move

2. betweenthecadrons

betweenthecadrons Well-Known Member

I would go see a doctor. Not trying to alarm you, but I read a news article just the other day about a kid that died from a brain infection after having the flu and developing a rash.

lilturkeyhunter and green29 like this.

3. rowdyrabbit

rowdyrabbit Well-Known Member

Get to the Dr first chance you get. Very likely is shingles and it helps to catch them quick. My wife is fighting them right now. Just like you, she had the flu then shingles. Right from one to the other.

lilturkeyhunter likes this.
  4. Sounds like shingles to me, based on "rash" and "pain". Had them a couple years ago and have to say that it was one of the most painful things I've ever had. Doc gave me these huge horse pills and the pain subsided within a day. Rash was around for a long time.

5. ARoutdoorman

Bigelow
    Well I went to the doctor this afternoon and the lady doctor came in and said so I hear u have a rash..I said yea so I showed her the part that was on my back and she said yea that’s pretty bad..I started laughing..she kinda looked at me weird and I told her I’m going to take my pants off but I’m not gonna show u the goods..the woman looked me dead in the eye and told me she has never in all her years of being a doctor had she seen a shingles rash as bad as the one I have..as she was writing me out some hardcore pain meds she was talking abt how much pain I must be in and all that and the woman had tears in her eyes!! I asked her if she was ok and she proceeded to tell me how bad she felt for me..let me tell ya..with the pain meds she gave, she must have really felt my pain!!

6. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

I had them one time on my back, and I thought it was poison ivy for 3 weeks . The only real pain I was driving down a ruff road .

7. ARoutdoorman

Bigelow
    I have never had shingles until now and I thought I was havin go an allergic reaction to my flu meds..I have been in so much pain..well turns out it was an outrageous case of shingles..the lady told me u think ur in pain now..wait till those blisters start to pop..guess that’s what these pain meds are for

8. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

I joined this not so good club also, just look down the thread list, here is my post from my good times I had with them back in the spring:

https://www.arkansashunting.net/threads/shingles.219443/

To prepare you, the worst thing I have ever went thru. Worked thru a lot of pain in my life, but these sucker keep me home for over a week, and then was tough for another month and a half. Still have pain at times in the affect nerve root.Them suckers follow the path of the nerve root affected. Mine was on my middle back & went around right side to under right nipple.solid line of blisters when it got going. Could not stand nothing to touch the affected areas. Sleeping was a chore, lay on left side & if rolled over in night, felt like boiling water was thrown on me. That is where the nerves went that they were in. Sounds like yours is a nerve root in the lower back. Pain meds your friend. Calamine lotion helped also. Just has to run course. Need to take note, when blisters come out, you are contagious and give anyone who has not had the chickenpox a case of them.

Good Luck!

9. ARoutdoorman

Bigelow
    Yea I have been eating these pain meds like skittles..the doc told me that I have even seen the worst part yet..she said this medicine is going to make them pop and it’s gonna b real bad..she said since I have it so bad she is really nervous abt me getting an infection of some sort..really hoping that doesnt happen

10. deer14

deer14 Well-Known Member

Another one of my past experiences . Shingles : had them on the outside , following an operation. Then , they went internal , really nice ! Took a year to identify , young doctor , got training in military. Yes , you don't want anything touching the area. My duty belt covered my spot. Nice ! This was years ago. And it must damage the nerves , I can still feel the affected area.

11. ARoutdoorman

Bigelow
    All the sores are gone now..just have a couple little scabs left..but my skin is so sensitive where the shingles were..I work n a factory and get sweaty and boy it’s uncomfortable with my clothes rubbing my skin

12. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

Glad it’s getting better. If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? I tried to get the vaccine but they wouldn’t do it, said I had to be 55 or older.

13. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

Wow! That does present a lot of questions to my doctor.

14. ARoutdoorman

Bigelow
    If ur thinking I got the vaccine I did not..the only thing they gave me were some pills for antibiotics and hydrocodone for the pain..the hydros ended up doing nothing for me so they then gave me gabapentin..which is actually a anti seizure medication..it calms the nerves down and let the hydros do their job..it worked..just made me very tired..my job offered me FMLA so I could get over everything but I told them I had to much pride and would rather earn my money then have it handed to me..been fighting thru the pain for a month now

Luv2hunt likes this.
  15. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

Never had'em, and from what I've seen of the folks that have, I don't want'em. Good friend of mine got a bad case of them a few years ago and I went to the Doctor and asked for the vaccine, he said," your insurance won't pay a penny on the $450.00 shot until you're 60, then they'll pay it all." I had just turned 59, but after seeing my buddy, I told the Doc to give me the shot and I'll write the check, I don't want nothing to do with the Shingles.

No-till Boss likes this.
  16. JaredDrake

JaredDrake Well-Known Member

I've had a small shingles rash, twice. Each time on my forehead and about the size of a quarter. A quarter. It was that small but the nerve pain that shot down my face from tiem to time was so intense that when the pain finally subsided, I realized I'd been holding my breath and that people had been talking to me and I never even heard them.
    I couldn't imagine anything more than quarter size. My dad had them when he was younger and they got onto his eyeball. Left him nearly totally blind on his right side.
    And the "brain infection" is encephalitis. It's a herpes infection on the brain, same as the shingles virus and "cold sore" virus. My great-uncle had that brain infection and he's never been the same.
    Glad you got to the doctor.