Anyone filmed a hunt with a GoPro?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by arfbfan, Dec 5, 2012.

1. arfbfan

arfbfan Well-Known Member

Got mine in and haven't tried it out yet. Wondering if mounting it to the riser or stabilizer, or wearing it on your head gives the best angles when hunting with a bow.

2. Outdoors Our Way

Outdoors Our Way Well-Known Member

We use them a lot in our productions for different angles and cut-a-ways. I'd definitely use the head mount instead of attaching it to the bow. Regardless of how smooth your bow is you're gonna have some recoil and shake from the shot and that translates into crummy post production.

3. Eagle Dad 44

Eagle Dad 44 Well-Known Member

I have a question about using the head mount, how do you compensate for head tilt when aiming with your bow? Seems like you would be off center with your camera when your are in full draw with your bow since your aren't facing straight ahead
    Thanks Chris

4. Eagle Dad 44

Eagle Dad 44 Well-Known Member

Sorry, arfbfan, I just realized that I hijacked your thread. My bad:smack:

5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I wear mine a little left of center on my head. Practice a few shots in the yard with it in. It is so wide angle it is really not too bad to aim.

6. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

I really want to get one. They look awesome and they are so small.

7. pprob

pprob Well-Known Member

Wildman Why do u want one? U ain't gonna see anything

8. arfbfan

arfbfan Well-Known Member

Not a problem, I've got plenty of questions I need answered.
    I did watch some gopro stuff on YouTube and one problem I noticed with the head strap was, at full draw the guys bow hid the deer.

9. sdefoor

sdefoor Well-Known Member

I bought one and took it back as there is no zoom. At 50 yards you could barely see the deer with cover behind them. Great quality video for maybe 20-30 yards with good light.

10. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Definitely up close and personal. But for bowhunting - 20 yds is about a normal shot.

11. bottomlands

bottomlands Well-Known Member

Haven't used that cam but I've got the Kodak sport that works ok for me. It has a pretty good zoom, but as they've said it shows vibrations at the shot but all n all has a good pic

12. remhunter

remhunter Well-Known Member

GoPro

I have also been thinking about getting one; they are small and seems light weight; I really believe that they wiil do good for me as I use a crossbow; the head mount would be perfect for the shot.

13. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

It's awful expensive for a camera to film your hunts in my opinion. Be great for filming a mountain bike ride or things of that nature, but if you want a 20-30 yard bowhunting cam, you can get a tiny HD camera like the flip, kodak playsport, etc and not break the bank. I use a gorilla treestands camera arm that mounts to the tree. HME has an even cheaper one that looks like it would work great. I too have seen the gopro YouTube videos and was not impressed with the hunting ones. You can hardly ever see the deer.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Well-Known Member

This year I started using my Go Pro some and best way I found to mount it was on the top limb.. I will say that the go Pro is kind of Pixelated (unless yours is HD) not the best quality but is good for a couple minutes of filming to capture the Shot..I also use a Flip Camera but am in need some kind of Pod to mount it too.

[​IMG]

15. jbmobley

jbmobley Well-Known Member

Cranford%20POV%20Mount%202%20-%20Copy.jpg

Go Pro makes a tripod adapter that fits the case of the gopro. I then screw it on a mount similar to this. It has such a wide angle/field of view that is is fine getting the animal in frame is not an issue, plus it will usually get you in the video as well. You can move it as well on the arm if needed with this set up too. I found it impossible to get any video worth a flip mounting it to my bow, gun or head. Just my $0.02.

Its really better as a second angle camera though. Def fun to mess with.

16. nwa_bowhunter

nwa_bowhunter Well-Known Member

Maybe you can win one, they give one away each day along with every accessory they make. See the gopro website for details.

17. TrophyFishR

TrophyFishR Well-Known Member

Ive got the GoPro HD Hero Naked.
    Its basically $199 model with no accessories.
    Walmart had them on sale for $129 this summer.

I was amazed at how clear the image was after watching the film.
    You can see farther than 20-30yards, as stated above.

The older models, first generation, non HD really sucked.
    I still have one that I use to film underwater logjams.
    You never know whats under a log.

Ive got a sony handy cam that takes much finer quality video.
    But, lots of things can break or get moisture in them if theyre not sealed.
    This is the main reason, I got the GoPro.

I will say that the camera angle on your head mount will take some getting used to.
    I keep cutting off the bottom part of the screen by having it pointed straight forward.

All in all, I say its a 8/10 score