Arkansas Hunting banner
241 - 260 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Man ADH you are a yote catching machine! Is this normal, up, or down?
To be completely honest this is the first year I’ve really tried to catch them. I’ve caught a couple before while trapping cats but never really had the desire to catch em. I’d always just set for beaver and cats. When I started this season they was my main target and I set my goal for 25. Today made 26 yotes since dec 20.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
To be completely honest this is the first year I’ve really tried to catch them. I’ve caught a couple before while trapping cats but never really had the desire to catch em. I’d always just set for beaver and cats. When I started this season they was my main target and I set my goal for 25. Today made 26 yotes since dec 20.
You're pretty damn good at it.

I've got permission to hunt a little spot in east Logan county that usually has a few deer on it, but this season not so much. In the last month or two I've been getting pictures every day and night of several different coyotes and a bobcat or two. I thought about trying to trap em, but the occasional yard dog made me reconsider. I know most of the dogs around there so I don't want to kill them. I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I hate them things and want em gone and don't know what to do about it. Lol. Any advice?

·
Registered
25,167 Posts
How will this snow and rain coming affect the trapping. I would assume coons and predators are like deer and will move before a front?

·
Registered
776 Posts

I've got permission to hunt a little spot in east Logan county that usually has a few deer on it, but this season not so much. In the last month or two I've been getting pictures every day and night of several different coyotes and a bobcat or two. I thought about trying to trap em, but the occasional yard dog made me reconsider. I know most of the dogs around there so I don't want to kill them. I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I hate them things and want em gone and don't know what to do about it. Lol. Any advice?
Pick a couple duke 550’s up. Even if you do happen to catch an accidental yard dog you should be able to release it pretty well unharmed. That’s about all I’ve ran the last two weeks and haven’t even noticed so much as the slightest nic in either a yote or bobcats foot. We had the dog from the neighbors farm in one last week and other then a couple swelled toes he went right back to his normal self. Only other option would be to call them and shoot them or set some snares up to where it won’t kill them

·
Registered
776 Posts
How will this snow and rain coming affect the trapping. I would assume coons and predators are like deer and will move before a front?
If it’s anything like the big snow last year critters moved really good the night or two before and then basically quit for a few days. Then once they got hungry I went right back to catching

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
5,965 Posts
I’m not good at trapping, but enjoy trying to do it anyway. I’ve caught 2 coyotes and 8 coon in the past 6 days. Lots of work with little to show for it, but it gives me another reason to be in the woods… as if I need a reason.

30 coon, 14 possums, 3 skunk, and 2 yotes for the season.

·
Registered
25,167 Posts
If it’s anything like the big snow last year critters moved really good the night or two before and then basically quit for a few days. Then once they got hungry I went right back to catching
I had mine out last year the couple days before snow apocalypse and didn’t catch anything. What about traps freezing up? That’s what happened to mine.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts

Dogs are typically really easy to release. Especially yard dogs who trust people. Cats on the other hand...well, it's the kind of thing you want someone standing by filming you when you try it until you learn how.

A plastic tote with a slot cut in it for the leg works great. Get the critter under it, release trap, tip it over and scoot back.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Nice catches. Been out sick. Did pick up few more coyotes. 18 coyotes off one property. There is a big creek runs thru it. I pick up 6 otters. I had a blind set with a duke 1.5 coil in at trail along the creek. Seen few coon and fox tracks. Caught a big otter in it yesterday.
Plant Carnivore Grass Fawn Grassland
Plant Bedrock Wood Terrestrial plant Grass

241 - 260 of 321 Posts