Arkansas Hunting banner
221 - 240 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Hope you catch a boat load! Everyone needs to have a couple DPs out.
I caught about 50 possums/raccoons and one skunk last winter on about 60 acres. I saw one poult all summer and zero adult birds since early October. I hoped it would help a little more than that. But we will set them back out shortly and see what we can do.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
I caught about 50 possums/raccoons and one skunk last winter on about 60 acres. I saw one poult all summer and zero adult birds since early October. I hoped it would help a little more than that. But we will set them back out shortly and see what we can
I caught about 50 possums/raccoons and one skunk last winter on about 60 acres. I saw one poult all summer and zero adult birds since early October. I hoped it would help a little more than that. But we will set them back out shortly and see what we can do.
Could be as simple as they don't nest or winter on your place. Turkeys will travel.

Either way, you are doing a great thing. I'd wait till spring, when they bust up, to determine if your efforts were worth it.

·
Premium Member
28,714 Posts
Could be as simple as they don't nest or winter on your place. Turkeys will travel.

Either way, you are doing a great thing. I'd wait till spring, when they bust up, to determine if your efforts were worth it.
I agree - turkeys dont just nest everywhere. I rarely have a turkey stay on my place other than spring - when I usually have one - maybe two hens - come in and attempt to nest - usually unsuccessfully. Other than that, I might get a picture or two of some turkeys passing through during the year, but they dont stay. Never have figured that out. Food plots all over the place, clover, native grass, corn feeders, mature woods - dont know what else a turkey might need - but they dont like my place for year round living. You cant even bait them to stay here.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
So I’m not going to lie when I first saw the word DP I automatically thought dr.pepper, but only for a second.🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do the coyotes in your area wise up to your traps, or can you keep catching until you get almost all of them?
So far they seem to just keep falling for the ol faithful dirt hole set. If they slow down and I know there’s still a few hanging around I’ll start setting more flat sets or trench sets and go back to fooling them. I try to set each area pretty heavy that way if there is several come through I can pick em up at once and leaves less to see their buddies in the traps and catch on

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Definitely seems like the otter have been moving the passed couple weeks. I’ve seen several run over on the highways here lately while working. Sure hate to seem them smashed flat on the roadways even though they aren’t worth much in these times.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
What’s y’all’s opinion on using old baits and lure? I’ve had a few sets out with maybe 2 or 3 year old bait and lure. Still smells as rank and rotten as it did when I got it. Seems like it would age like a fine wine, LOL

221 - 240 of 321 Posts