Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
I set some traps yesterday. A friend has a family of otters cleaning out his fish ponds. Never had the chance to catch an otter. I set Victor #3 coils in the water where they are going over the dam and found a place where they leave and enter in 4 places to poop. lots of big droppings that are mostly fish scales.
When you catch one, dispatch it quickly if those aren't drowning sets.

Extremely tough and MEAN critters. And they don't care for having people near them while in a trap.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
What kind of your scent control do y’all use catching them yotes?
So some Google searches and you'll find this is a real debated topic. Some guys don't wear gloves and do anything special. Others wear gloves, use kneeling pads, and won't breath on a set.

I've done both and when they aren't pressured and no one around is trapping, I just can't prove it matters much.

Trapper J on YouTube is murder on yotes and he is pretty half-hearted about it. (Language warning if you watch him)

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
So bottom line is no matter how careful you are, a yote is going to know you’ve been there? Just depends on if he’s had his toes snapped before if you catch him?
Sort of.
I do know once a yote figures out what traps are, they become hard to catch. They'll dig a trap up, they'll avoid sets. People don't credit them with the intelligence they have.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
Got a couple coyotes working our neighborhood I'm trying to catch now. Will get serious once things dry out a little. These urban coyotes are fun to try and catch.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
Hoping to reset a couple urban traps today in an effort to get rid of some coyotes. Can't quit catching the possums long enough to get the yotes in one.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
I caught about 50 possums/raccoons and one skunk last winter on about 60 acres. I saw one poult all summer and zero adult birds since early October. I hoped it would help a little more than that. But we will set them back out shortly and see what we can
I caught about 50 possums/raccoons and one skunk last winter on about 60 acres. I saw one poult all summer and zero adult birds since early October. I hoped it would help a little more than that. But we will set them back out shortly and see what we can do.
Could be as simple as they don't nest or winter on your place. Turkeys will travel.

Either way, you are doing a great thing. I'd wait till spring, when they bust up, to determine if your efforts were worth it.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
You're pretty damn good at it.

I've got permission to hunt a little spot in east Logan county that usually has a few deer on it, but this season not so much. In the last month or two I've been getting pictures every day and night of several different coyotes and a bobcat or two. I thought about trying to trap em, but the occasional yard dog made me reconsider. I know most of the dogs around there so I don't want to kill them. I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I hate them things and want em gone and don't know what to do about it. Lol. Any advice?
Dogs are typically really easy to release. Especially yard dogs who trust people. Cats on the other hand...well, it's the kind of thing you want someone standing by filming you when you try it until you learn how.

A plastic tote with a slot cut in it for the leg works great. Get the critter under it, release trap, tip it over and scoot back.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
I might just tell the neighbors that I’m putting some coyote traps out because they are running all over the place and they should keep their dogs penned up for a while because I’ve noticed their mutts have been all over my place lately and would hate for them to get in a trap?
Yeah, I wouldn't tell them. Easier to let the dogs learn a lesson. Traps won't hurt them unless you are snaring. If you are problem will be solved immediately.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
Well when I said I was going to take a break for a few days I wasn’t expecting what happened. Our son decided to show up 8 weeks early Thursday night and is still currently in the NICU at UAMS. He’s doing great and should be moved to the STARKS unit by Friday hopefully. The Mrs is doing great as well and staying there with him but they will only let one of us be there after 6.
Congrats and prayers! We had one show up 6 weeks early so I can sympathize. Amazing what doctors and nurses can do these days.

Prayers for baby mom and you!

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
There were some 1ft tall pine saplings and weeds there. Coyote tracks up and down the road all month. I drove a piece of pvc in the ground in the edge of the cover, and set my trap right off it. Put my bait in the pvc with lure on the outside of it. I caught a raccoon there first and had to move over a couple feet to do a remake.
Modified pipe dream set?

I've read all about those but never attempted to make one. Are that really that effective? Sure seems a man could make them in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
17,802 Posts
Yeah. My version of the pipe dream. I bedded my trap normal instead of using grass or straw clipping though. I’ve caught 4 with the method this year. Beats dirt holes filled with rain water with our recent weather.
Did you cover with dirt like a regular dirt hole?

I've messed around with grass and straw and it justblooks so odd to my eye, but I guess it really works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts