Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been all over the internet looking at handguns and I just can't narrow it down!!! There are so many that I want its rediculous. I am starting to like the idea of .38sp so I can drop some 357 mags in there. Taurus makes an ultralite that I really like.

I am not going to drop a lot of money on one bc i won't shoot it much. However, I do want one for CC purposes so the ultralite appeals to me.
What do ya'll think.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=301&category=Revolver

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I've never met anybody who got a Taurus revolver that hated it. We sold a few, and results were always positive.

Did you mean you want a .357 magnum so you can shoot .38 specials as well? It sorta looked backwards in your post...

If you're looking at 5-shot .38's, why not get a Ruger Sp101 in 9mm, or a S & W Centennial in the same caliber? 9mm +p is a whole lot stouter than a .38, and they load with full moon clips--easier and faster than speed loaders!

Just a thought!

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
I have a 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 357 that I carry quite often. You can practice with the lighter recoiling 38's and put the 357's in for business. I'll tell you, though, a full power 357 in a lightweight revolver is going to have brutal recoil. A cylinder or 2 is all I care to shoot of the full power stuff. Another option would be 38 +P ammo.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never met anybody who got a Taurus revolver that hated it. We sold a few, and results were always positive.

Did you mean you want a .357 magnum so you can shoot .38 specials as well? It sorta looked backwards in your post...

If you're looking at 5-shot .38's, why not get a Ruger Sp101 in 9mm, or a S & W Centennial in the same caliber? 9mm +p is a whole lot stouter than a .38, and they load with full moon clips--easier and faster than speed loaders!

Just a thought!
Yes thats what I meant. I guess I had just read the taurus add and they have it worded how I do. Same thing in my mind but you are correct.

I will look into the Ruger. I am fairly new to the handgun world. I have shot them my whole life but never paid attention to any detail.
I have several 22's and a Sig P230(.380). I am looking for mainly a CC gun.

If I am at camp, I usually carry my S&W 622. I like plinking with a .22.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Yes thats what I meant. I guess I had just read the taurus add and they have it worded how I do. Same thing in my mind but you are correct.

I will look into the Ruger. I am fairly new to the handgun world. I have shot them my whole life but never paid attention to any detail.
I have several 22's and a Sig P230(.380). I am looking for mainly a CC gun.

If I am at camp, I usually carry my S&W 622. I like plinking with a .22.
You'll find everybody on here has .22's to play with, it's just good cheap fun!

Wife has the Ruger in 9mm, I've got on in 357, they really work well.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I carry a Taurus 617 357 mag. 2 1/2" revolver. first 2 rounds loaded with # 8 shot shell then the big loads for the other 5. There is nothing like a sure thing with big bang.........:biggrin:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Revolver

I started with a 38 sp Rossi snubby. Very compact and worry free. Just pull the trigger. If I were to buy again I would get one with a hammer sheild so that it can be fired from inside a fanny pack or pocket without the hammer catching. Still carry it a lot even though I have a semi. The semis I like and use are also hammerless but do not lend themselves to concealed shooting. Just an easier draw due to less knobs to catch anything. Kahr PM9 is excellent semi but kinda pricey compared to the revolvers. (My wife carries it.) Some of the semis are just pull the trigger and shoot similar to a revolver. Several different set ups on trigger pull so study that if you are inclined to take a look at semis.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I have a Taurus Ultra-Lite in .38 Special that I carry all the time. My gunsmith cut the hammer tang off for me and it saved me a few bucks compared to buying a true hammerless. No complaints here.

I also bought a Kramer IWB holster that is custom molded for this particular gun, and it fits real snug....kinda pricey though at $115.00.

http://www.kramerleather.com

.270Win

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Snakes, and 2 loads of #8 shot in the face as warning, (#8 shot leave no marks to trace) blind things don't hurt others 3 round and down for good.........:up:
Reminds me of a story a prison guard told me (Buzz, are you listening?) He said they alway loaded birdshot as the first cartridge in the riot shotguns, followed of course by buck shot. That first round was supposed to go in the air as a warning--If they find birdshot in a prisoner, they know the guard didn't shoot the warning shot :smack:

Dunno if that's true anymore, but it sounded good! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Also you won't see any automatics. Pump shot guns. There is just something about the shucking sound a pump makes to get your attention. :biggrin: Not that I have ever been to prison but that is what I have heard from folks who have worked there.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Also you won't see any automatics. Pump shot guns. There is just something about the shucking sound a pump makes to get your attention. :biggrin: Not that I have ever been to prison but that is what I have heard from folks who have worked there.
Yes that click click of an pump says this is the end of this.......:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have bought 2 Charter arms 2000 undercover snubbies. They are not very pricey, and they shoot well. Bought them for the wife to use and she likes them a lot. I recently bought her a colt .380 semi-auto, and she really likes it more than the .38's. I load .38 shotshell in the revolver for the house , because it does do damage, and if she shoots, she will not penetrate any walls and hit any of our children by accident. If you have never used shot shells, get some and step back and shoot at a cardboard box and look at the pattern. It may just surprise you. I know I would't want to be on the receiving end.

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
Drifting a little, but if you want to impress the kiddies (and adults too) with your shooting prowess, take a 22 shotshell and put one in your rifle. Have some regular 22 laying on the bench. Sit an axe up at about 15 feet, tie a balloon to each side and shoot the axe blade. Both balloons will pop. They'll think that you split the bullet on the axe. You'll be a shooting hero the rest of the day. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have bought 2 Charter arms 2000 undercover snubbies. They are not very pricey, and they shoot well. Bought them for the wife to use and she likes them a lot. I recently bought her a colt .380 semi-auto, and she really likes it more than the .38's. I load .38 shotshell in the revolver for the house , because it does do damage, and if she shoots, she will not penetrate any walls and hit any of our children by accident. If you have never used shot shells, get some and step back and shoot at a cardboard box and look at the pattern. It may just surprise you. I know I would't want to be on the receiving end.
I have and it does make an impression for sure.........:up:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I carry a few different wheelguns from time to time and like them alot. For a CC gun, there is NOTHING wrong with the Sig 230! No .380 ain't a thumper, but neither is a .45 if it's at home in the safe!!!

I LOVE K-frame S&W's!!! 10's, 19's, and 66's!! Not as easy to stow as the Sig this time of year, but not too hard either.

I know everyone jumps on the snubbies and love 'em. But 3-4" of barrel makes a big difference in how well you can shoot it. Unless you plan to spend a good deal of time and effort to get really good with a snub, I still vote for the longer tube and a good smooth trigger.... smooth not light, there's a big difference.

But the N-frames are what winds my watch!!! 10mm or .45's and I am one very jolly fellow!!! 610's, 625's and the new 22's and 1917's are all that and some skittles!!! HArd to go wrong with revolvers, folks say it all the time "wheel guns are real guns"!!!

I love my Glock and 1911A1, but my revolvers are right there with both of them!!!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I carry a few different wheelguns from time to time and like them alot. For a CC gun, there is NOTHING wrong with the Sig 230! No .380 ain't a thumper, but neither is a .45 if it's at home in the safe!!!

I LOVE K-frame S&W's!!! 10's, 19's, and 66's!! Not as easy to stow as the Sig this time of year, but not too hard either.

I know everyone jumps on the snubbies and love 'em. But 3-4" of barrel makes a big difference in how well you can shoot it. Unless you plan to spend a good deal of time and effort to get really good with a snub, I still vote for the longer tube and a good smooth trigger.... smooth not light, there's a big difference.

But the N-frames are what winds my watch!!! 10mm or .45's and I am one very jolly fellow!!! 610's, 625's and the new 22's and 1917's are all that and some skittles!!! HArd to go wrong with revolvers, folks say it all the time "wheel guns are real guns"!!!

I love my Glock and 1911A1, but my revolvers are right there with both of them!!!

The .380 is definitely going to be my carry gun. It is easy to conceal and I can shoot it pretty well especially with multiple shots. I understand why law enforcment wants a bigger caliber but for everyday CC, I think the .380 is a great choice.

However, I do want a bigger gun for fun and for my vehicle. I really like sigs but wasn't going to spend that much. However, I think I will just use my .380 and save up a little for a Sig P220. We just bought a new house and my wife my not agee with me buying a new gun instead of new furniture...which she is expecting!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Every once in a while you can find some "trade-in" 220's at a reall good price. They may have some holster wear, but functioning should be great and that'll leave extra $$$ for holsters and ammo!!!

My bro sold his about two years ago for next to nothing compared to what it is actually worth. He hadn't had it out in years and just let it go....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.