Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
No - I did give one away the other day - first time I have found someone to take a hog in three years. Hard to find folks willing to come get them in the middle of the night in the heat of the summer. In fact, it is hard to find someone to come get one anytime.
Wish you were closer- I’d take several off your hands.
I also dont have access to any hogs though either…

·
Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have had folks tell me they wanted a hog, then when I call them -“it is cleaned, right” or “oh, I didnt want a big boar” or “I didnt want an old sow, I wanted a gilt” - even had one tell me they only wanted a white or cream colored hog. I had seven hogs trapped one time. Guy said he would be there in an hour to get them. Seven hours later, he still hadnt showed and he hadnt returned a call or a text. I havent gone out of my way to give a hog away since then. Best way to get hogs from someone is trapped hogs. You can plan when to get them.

·
Super Moderator
10,964 Posts
I have had folks tell me they wanted a hog, then when I call them -“it is cleaned, right” or “oh, I didnt want a big boar” or “I didnt want an old sow, I wanted a gilt” - even had one tell me they only wanted a white or cream colored hog. I had seven hogs trapped one time. Guy said he would be there in an hour to get them. Seven hours later, he still hadnt showed and he hadnt returned a call or a text. I havent gone out of my way to give a hog away since then. Best way to get hogs from someone is trapped hogs. You can plan when to get them.
99% I shoot I drag off for same reason. Couple years ago I killed a nice fat 90-100 lb sow and didnt have room for her, called several people and I had to work hard to find someone to come get it.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Giving away hogs you busted your rear for sounds about like working for the general public in business.
Couldn’t do something for free and someone still be happy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I leave them laying where they fall until said guy shows up for his hog

·
Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not in the middle of the night, but on more then one occasion, I've driven 3 hours because I got a call from a guy saying he got a call from a guy saying that we had hogs in a trap!
If i looked real hard, I might - maybe - find a video of a couple of guys blazin away like john wayne and matt dillion at some hogs in a trap. Good thing nobody got caught in the crossfire. :cool:

·
Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That was a pretty good shot for an old, sickly feller' like yourself.... :cool:

If I had a hog I could kill in 20 minutes, I would get up at 2 am. Of course these days, I'm more likely to be up at 2 am anyway.
Us old sickly feller’s got to just keep pushin - and hopin the next Dr visit is good news - bad news for the hogs.:cool:

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
If i looked real hard, I might - maybe - find a video of a couple of guys blazin away like john wayne and matt dillion at some hogs in a trap. Good thing nobody got caught in the crossfire. :cool:
We are professionals, we've been in situations like that before and are well aware of each other's range of fire! Lol

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
You are not the local butcher, skinning and cleaning those is a real pain especially a big boar. They will spoil in this heat within the hour as well. I agree with you leave them lay or take what you want and be done with it. I always tell people who bug me for meat: It's been gutted and has hair on it that is as far as I go.

·
Registered
16,657 Posts
Heck yeah... I'd get up to give them their medicine... Poor things...
I set a remote motion detector alarm over my headboard every once in awhile just so I can get up at 2 am to throw a can full of rocks at some neighbor's dog pooping in my front yard....
But then... I'm retired, and I can nap, or sleep late whenever I want....

21 - 40 of 52 Posts