Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 361866
Yep! The cell cameras save a lot of walking and sweating this time of year.
That is for sure. The feeder in the picture is a 100 yard walk from the truck to a 90 degree bend in the road. The feeder sits fifty yards down from the 90 degree bend. Walk 100 yards and look - they are either there or they arent. They are there about 2/3’s of the time - by the time I get there - which probably takes twenty minutes from the time I receive the text. This time of year, If I think a hog is going to come to the feeder, I leave the gun in the truck so it is already warmed up and the scope doesnt fog up when ready to shoot.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That was a pretty good shot for an old, sickly feller' like yourself.... :cool:

If I had a hog I could kill in 20 minutes, I would get up at 2 am. Of course these days, I'm more likely to be up at 2 am anyway.

·
Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you eating any of the ones you kill?
No - I did give one away the other day - first time I have found someone to take a hog in three years. Hard to find folks willing to come get them in the middle of the night in the heat of the summer. In fact, it is hard to find someone to come get one anytime.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Not in the middle of the night, but on more then one occasion, I've driven 3 hours because I got a call from a guy saying he got a call from a guy saying that we had hogs in a trap!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
No - I did give one away the other day - first time I have found someone to take a hog in three years. Hard to find folks willing to come get them in the middle of the night in the heat of the summer. In fact, it is hard to find someone to come get one anytime.
If it wasn't in the middle of the night I'd come get hog meat any day. That stuff is hard to get. Might I ask why you don't eat them yourself, they're better than store bought imo.

·
Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it wasn't in the middle of the night I'd come get hog meat any day. That stuff is hard to get. Might I ask why you don't eat them yourself, they're better than store bought imo.
My wife taught high school science for 30 years. She can tell you every disease hogs carry and what they do to you. She said she isnt cooking them or eating them - so neither am I.;)

I wish someone would take them - a lot of meat going to the buzzards.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My wife taught high school science for 30 years. She can tell you every disease hogs carry and what they do to you. She said she isnt cooking them or eating them - so neither am I.;)

Cook meat throughly enough and no problems. But I do know some folks, I'll let them know you got some hogs. Do you only kill them at night?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If they are in the yard or woods next to my house, yes. Armadillos and pigs , zero tolerance. Right after rain I try to cat nap in my recliner after supper cause I’ll probably be up late.

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts
Honestly, if it was 10 minutes from the house, I probably would. I've never killed a hog before so that plays into my decision.

Reactions: Tugman and Koyote

·
Premium Member
29,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cook meat throughly enough and no problems. But I do know some folks, I'll let them know you got some hogs. Do you only kill them at night?
probably 80/90% at night. Dont see them out much during daylight. I must have just gone to bed when these showed up down the hill from the house after I got back last night

Flash photography Black-and-white Natural landscape Grass Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I'm extremely fortunate, got 2 guys who will drive to the farm and pick up every hog I trap.
But then again, all the hogs I get are killed in the morning.
Keep nailing that swine though, we need more people like you killing them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts