Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am also interested in the folks here that use a slug gun and what they have to say about them.. For a couple of years now I have been thinking of getting a rifled barrel to put on one of my shotguns..

Many years ago I had a Remington mdl. 1148 in the 16 ga. and I did use slugs in it. Over a period of a few years I manage to kill four or five deer with it and I was really impressed with the impact and sheer knockdown that the slugs produced on deer..

It was of course a smoothbore barrel with a modified choke. There were just not many rifled barrels for shotguns back then...

I was comfortable enough with the 16ga. accuracy to use it to make killing shots on deer at 80 yards and under while hunting out of a tree stands..

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Ive owned shot slugs out of several different guns.
Smoothbore 11-87
Smoothbore 1100 with a saddle mount scope
Rifled mossberg 835 with a 4x leupold on top
Savage model 220 bolt action topped with a nikon prostaff
The only one that I have been happy with is the savage. With remington 3 inch accutips it will touch bullets at 50 and shoot 2 inch groups at 100

·
Registered
393 Posts
I killed my buck this year on a permit hunt that was shotgun slug or muzzleloader only. I opted with a shotgun for the multiple shots/no smoke. Bought the Remington Sluggers at Walmart, put a scope on my 870 Super Magnum shotgun with a modified choke in it, and sighted it in about 5 inches high at 50 yards. Dropped my buck in his tracks at 127 yards. Shot thru both shoulders and bullet was under skin in offside shoulder. So my experience has been good...with the exception of that thing kicking the taste out of my mouth and scope slapping me a good one lol.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I have 20 ga. 1100 with a Hasting's rifled barrel that I will pick up if I'm going to gun hunt even if rifle hunting is allowed. It's super accurate and has very moderate recoil and shoots flat out to 100.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Remington 870 12 Ga slug gun! I shoot 2 3/4 shells through it. I love it. I do not shoot long range due to where I hunt, but at 100 yards it is very accurate. I hunt Zone 5 with it. I would recomment this gun to anyone.

·
Super Moderator
14,041 Posts
I live and hunt in a zone that is shotgun or muzzleloader only on gun hunts---no rifles or buckshot allowed. I have killed a lot of deer with my Benelli Nova with rifled barrel and scope. They are VERY accurate.

·
Registered
Elite V37, muzzy broadheads
5,250 Posts
I have a mossberg pump 12 gauge slug gun. For inside 150, it is hard to beat. It is a 3" gun but my 6' 250# frame cannot take the abuse so I prefer 2 3/4" slugs. Still packs a punch but it is more manageable. Never had a deer go over 50 yards and the entrance hole is about the size of a quarter and the exit is pretty good to.

·
Registered
Elite V37, muzzy broadheads
5,250 Posts
With the rifled barrels and the sabot slugs, the mossberg claims a 2" group out to 200 yards. Never tested it but that is what they claim.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I shoot a Savage 220 20 gauge Bolt action with a 3-9 Luepold Ultra slam scope.I use rem.2-3/4 inch premier AccuTip 260 grain Bonded Sabot Slugs. Best slug gun I have ever owned,150 yards is no problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I also hunt in a zone that only allows shotgun or ML. I use a 870 12ga with a rifled slug barrel and scope. With Hornady SST 300gr slugs it is very accurate. Mine is sited in at 100 and I shoot it out to 200. Drops about 2" at 150 and 8" at 200. With a good rest 2" groups at 200 is very doable. I have never had to shoot a deer with it past 100 though, but very few of my stands have a shot opportunity past 100 yards.

I have been tempted to buy a slug barrel for my beretta but probably wont. I like having a dedicated slug gun that I dont have to mess with switching barrels on. At about $3 a shot I don't like having to site it in very often.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I bought one 6 years ago when I hunt up in Michigan. H&r ultimate 20 ga 3 1/2 inch. Shoots 410 grain at 2070 fps and drops 9" at 200. Topped with Nikon slug scope and we have shot groups out to 250 yards. Shot my biggest doe 225 field dress on a scale

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.