Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hunted with bolt actions and automatics since I have been hunting and I thought I would like to have a lever action. I came close to getting a Browning BLR in .308 but there was somethings about them I didn't like so I checked out the Marlin .308MX and decided right then and there that was the gun I wanted. Well the more I shot it the more I liked it and 2 weeks later I bought a 336W in 30/30 to hunt some thickets where I hunt. Now I'm hooked on a Marlin lever action and can't see myself going back. I also put a 1895GS on layaway to bear hunt with this fall but I aint worked up the nerve to tell the wife yet.:biggrin:

The .308MX

and my 336W

·
Administrator
90,684 Posts
It started a couple of years ago for me. First I picked up a 1895 22" 45/70. Then last fall, I stumbled on a like new 336M in 30/30, and picked up a 336C in 35 Rem the end of last year. I haven't shot the 35 yet, but will tomorrow. Just this past week I got in the components and dies. Loaded 20 rounds this morning to try out tomorrow. I'll also run a few across the chrono.

My son had no interest in the 1895, but fell in love with the 336M. We have done the magnums, et al, now we have fallen for the lever guns. Where we hunt, 50 yards is a long shot in most places. They are so much handier and lighter, wish I had done it years ago. Others on my wish list are a 1894 in either 44 Mag or 41 Mag, and a 39A.

I'll have to dig up some pics in a day or so.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I grew up on a marlin 30-30. I currently have a camoed 336 in 30-30 and a 1895c in .357 magnum (sweet little gun). I used the Leverevolution ammo last year in the 30-30, it lengthened my distance a little bit. I would like to get my hands on a 1895 45-70 or .44 magnum, or .450 marlin. My wife loves to shoot the .357 because it is light and very manageable.
Sportsmanetc

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
My wife got me the .35 rem. last year now i want a .444 just for busting some pigs. My buddy shoots the Marlin guide gun in 45/70 but man that dude thumps a bit. I ain't scared of recoil but i think the .444 will suit me better. That .35 rem. makes me want every caliber they have. Sweet guns, hopefully since Remington bought them out nothing will change in the quality of the Marlins.

·
Administrator
90,684 Posts
When I was looking at the big bore Marlins, one of the things that stood out for me on the 444 vs 45/70 was that the 444 uses bullets that are .429 in diameter, in other words, 44 caliber handgun bullets, the same ones used in the 44 magnum. My concern is that if you take a bullet designed for 1250 fps + or - and push it to 2300+ fps, will it hold up?? The 45/70 takes a .458 bullet that is designed from the get go for rifle velocities.

If you want to take some of the thump out of the 45/70, you can buy the 405 grain Remington factory load loaded to 1300 fps and 1600 FPE. It's loaded light due to the fact that there are still old 45/70 rifles out there that can't take the pressure of modern rounds. I handload my 45/70 with a 300 grain hollow point bullet at 2170 fps. That gives a muzzle energy of just under 3150 FPE, which is a couple hundred FPE more than the 30/06 with 180 grain bullets. The beauty of the 45/70 is that you can load it for whatever velocity you want, and there is a multitude of suitable bullets available from hard cast lead to soft point and hollow point.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I have been Marlin crazy for many years. In 1978 I bought a new Marlin 336C for my son's birthday in 1978 for $85. Then a few years later I bought my daughter a new Marlin 336C and could not find one cheaper than $125. The prices keep going up on everything but I have put together a pretty good collection for myself and my favorite is the Marlin 336C in .35 Remington. I consider it the perfect rifle for hunting the hardwood forests of the Ozarks where 100 yards is about the maximum range for a shot at a deer. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have been Marlin crazy for many years. In 1978 I bought a new Marlin 336C for my son's birthday in 1978 for $85. Then a few years later I bought my daughter a new Marlin 336C and could not find one cheaper than $125. The prices keep going up on everything but I have put together a pretty good collection for myself and my favorite is the Marlin 336C in .35 Remington. I consider it the perfect rifle for hunting the hardwood forests of the Ozarks where 100 yards is about the maximum range for a shot at a deer. :thumb:
Yeah, I forgot to mention what I paid. $83.00 in 1976 at K-Mart in LR at University and Asher. I passed on a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for $69.00 at I think was Woolco which became a Target and is now home for the ASP on Baseline. I was under 18 at the time so my Dad had to buy it. I wanted to mount a scope later is one of the reasons I went with the Marlin. I didn't want a side mounted scope.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
When I was looking at the big bore Marlins, one of the things that stood out for me on the 444 vs 45/70 was that the 444 uses bullets that are .429 in diameter, in other words, 44 caliber handgun bullets, the same ones used in the 44 magnum. My concern is that if you take a bullet designed for 1250 fps + or - and push it to 2300+ fps, will it hold up?? The 45/70 takes a .458 bullet that is designed from the get go for rifle velocities.

If you want to take some of the thump out of the 45/70, you can buy the 405 grain Remington factory load loaded to 1300 fps and 1600 FPE. It's loaded light due to the fact that there are still old 45/70 rifles out there that can't take the pressure of modern rounds. I handload my 45/70 with a 300 grain hollow point bullet at 2170 fps. That gives a muzzle energy of just under 3150 FPE, which is a couple hundred FPE more than the 30/06 with 180 grain bullets. The beauty of the 45/70 is that you can load it for whatever velocity you want, and there is a multitude of suitable bullets available from hard cast lead to soft point and hollow point.
You may have just changed my outlook on that .444. I read into it a bit and of course you are right. I am not too prejudice though i like all guns BIG and SMALL.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You may have just changed my outlook on that .444. I read into it a bit and of course you are right. I am not too prejudice though i like all guns BIG and SMALL.
Just fyi...the Hornady 265 grain FP is designed for 444 velocities. Also the new LeverEvolution 325 grain 444's are impressive too. I got my best accuracy in my Marlin 1895 guide gun with Reloader 7 and the 265 hornadys. They were devastating on two does I shot. The processor even ask what I shot them with.

Mr. C is right about the other .429 and .430 bullets.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
The Marlin 39A, 22LR is also awesome for squirrels. I got one about two years ago and have made war on the squirrels with it. I was going to buy a used one at a recent gun show for $325 for my grandson. I looked at it and put it back down. Another guy picked it up and he bought it while I was still thinking about it. Oh well! I hope no one tells my grandson. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Saw a guy buy a used 39A for 375.00 the other day at a flea market. It was a 70's model and like new though. Two guys were almost fighting over it. One guy kept offering 300.00 and the guy that had it kept saying no then another guy came up and offered 350.00 and was turned down and told it wasn't going for any lower than 375.00 so he just got out his money and paid for it.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Been a fan of the 336 for a long time..have one in 35 Rem that belonged to Dad........I used it a lot more than he did, but between us, it has sure put a lot of meat in the pot!!!! I haven't tried the new Hornady LE loads in it yet, but am impressed with them in my 35 Contender!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.