Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to finish another AR build and wanting a caliber can hunt with. I have looked at ballistics for everything 6.5, 6.8, 7.62x39, 25-45, and they all pretty much suck but comparing the cost of the upper and barrel and availability of ammo and minimal mods is leaning me toward the 300. Where I am hunting with it will be inside 100 yards and have no desire to shoot suppressed. At 100 yards the 300 has only 1000fp of energy right on par with the 5.56. Wondering how effective it is to actually hunt with. 25-45 looks promising but complete upper is 800 and ammo harder to find. 6.8 grendel has ballistics close to 243 but uppers are double the 300 and need new BCG. anybody have any insight?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Did you mean 6.8 SPC or the 6.5 Grendel ?

No such thing as a 6.8 Grendel that I know of

Don't know what kind of performance you are looking for, but 6.8 SPC certainly does not suck & will consistently kill deer & hog size game out to 250 yards & maybe more with quality bullets.

6.8 SPC ammo is widely available
Check out Palmetto State Armory or Kari's Guns for good deals on AR uppers

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Don't know what kind of performance you are looking for, but 6.8 SPC certainly does not suck & will consistently kill deer & hog size game out to 250 yards & maybe more with quality bullets.

sorry mistyped, you know what I meant

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

There is a 6.5 Grendel round available in the AR platform, but I think the 6.8 spc would be just fine for what's he is needing.

·
Administrator
88,034 Posts
6.5 and 6.8 will give you better long range results than the BO. Think low powered 30/30 ballistics when you think of the BO. I've had excellent results with my 16" 6.8SPC.

I have a couple of 30/30 lever guns and a couple of x39 semi's. The 300BO just doesn't have a niche in my collection that isn't already filled with better performing cartridges.

Here is Savage Arms press release when they were working with the BO:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don’t criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won’t work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

·
Administrator
88,034 Posts
I think a lot of the popularity the last couple of years is the fact that several of the northern states that have always been "shotgun only" are now allowing a limited number of straight wall rifle cartridges to be used for deer hunting. The 450 BM falls withing the guidelines in several states. Lots of people buying 450 uppers for this reason.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have used the 300 blackout almost exclusively for the past 3 years deer hunting. And have not lost a deer. I use a Daniel defense AR in 300 with a trijicon accupoint scope and it will make 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with the Barnes 110 grain tac-tx rounds. Every deer that I have shot has been a pass thru with good wound channels and quick kills. Farthest that I have shot a deer is 150 yards and it dropped in its tracks. Most shots have been 100 yards to 120 yards. Ammo is available in many gun shops and I have even been able to get it at Walmart. I shoot mine suppressed and it is hearing safe with supersonic ammo. With the collapsible stock it fits my son great and he killed 2 deer with it this season.i don't recommend it for thick brushy areas due to light bullet weight, but if you have open shots it is a great little round

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.