Anybody carry a .357 or .38 revolver?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Veo, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

I'm thinking of getting a back up carry gun for when I don't want to haul my .45 around. I was nearly sold on the Ruger LCP, then started thinking about revolvers, and thought about the 2'' .357 models.

Any of you have one or used one? What do you think? I'm looking at the Taurus protector series in particular, but more than anything wondering what you all think about shooting a .357 out of that small of a gun?

And for those of you that have an LCP or .38 revolver, what do you think about them?

Thanks all

2. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

Dude the .357 in those little J-frames is abusive!!! I have one of the Taurus' and love the gun and stoke it with .38 +P 158 gr SWCHP's. I like the gun and it has more authority than a .380 (which I have two of).

You have to shoot it at least once with some full house magnums though!!!! I shot a bro's airlite Smith and busted blood vessels in the web of my hands!!!! The steel frames are not nearly as harsh and are more manageable.

I carry it often as a backup to my primary, in either a Desantis ankle rig or a Nemisis pocket holster. Toss a pair of speed strips in the off side pcket and let 'er bump!!!

3. loki

loki Well-Known Member

Guess I'd have to agree with s-man on the recoil thing. I learned to shoot handguns with 357 revolvers. However, anything less than a smith L frame will hurt ya' a little bit.

4. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 most of the time but I really like shooting my .38 and carry it every once in a while. I love those new Taurus .38's with the built in Lazer. Those are really nice and lot cheaper than the rugers in the same model.

5. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I carry a 2.25" Ruger SP101 some. It's not a problem with 38 Special and 38+p, but like snyde said, put some full house 125 GR JHP's in it and a cylinder or 2 is all you want for a few days.

6. Veo

Those are nice, I have handled a couple. Do they conceal well?

Also, if you are ever put in a situation where you have to use your weapon, are you at that much of an advantage with a full house .357 load over a .38+p coming out of a firearm like this?

Thanks

7. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    In the big picture, probably not. One thing to think about would be that you could control the gun better with 38's over 357's. That may make a difference if a fast follow up shot was needed.

8. Veo

Very true, I'm trying to decide if I'd be better off getting a .38 or a .357.

9. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Get the 357 revolver if you have a choice. That way you'll have the option of what you want to carry. If you get the 38 revolver, you will never have the option for the more powerful ammo.

10. Veo

Very true, and I have about 400 rounds of .357 loaded up already.