Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a 4wd to look like one. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned (or just old) but I like a 4wd truck to sit higher than other trucks. With that being said, I'm looking at raising mine some. (2014 GMC Sierra) A leveling kit will raise the front end about 2" and the cost is minimal.......about $150.00. When "leveled" and pulling a load, the rear of the truck sits lower than the front, which I really don't like. I don't mind the rear being higher. A 3.5" suspension lift with new A Arms is about 650.00 installed. I like the idea of a little more height, and I'm planning on keeping the stock 18" tires on it, which are about 31" tall. Maybe later when these tires wear out, I'll get some taller tires, but for now, I'm planning to just run what I have. Now the question---will the stock tires look too small with a 3.5" lift? They look fine with a leveling kit, but I don't want it looking like I have go-cart tires on my truck.:biggrin: Surely the extra 1.5" won't make it look that much out of place. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Thoughts?

Lifts on street trucks are like the proverbial girl parts on a boar hog.

Less mileage, worse ride, lots of money, and most poorly executed. I don't see the point.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My personal views are similar to PQ's in this subject. Plus it kills your resale for most folks. Even if it never touches mud, most folks think it has been run hard.

For a part time rig or hunting rig no problem....full time rig I run mainly stock setup but run a slightly bigger tire when the factories run out. I do like the leveling kit though.

That being said....to each his own! It's your truck. If you want to run a 6 inch lift with 35's it's your truck!! Do what looks good to you.

Given your scenario, if I were going to spring for the bigger lift I would also run a bigger tire. I never did like the looks of the lift with a stock tire.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Be sure and read up those on those 3.5". Some of them u need a certain offset wheel and the ball joints some of them use are crap and the boots crack and dry rot pretty quick.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The stock tires and the leveling kit will look fine, much more and tires will be necessary to not look a bit gawky. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but I have a leveling kit under my truck and I ran the stock tires until it was time to buy new ones then I upgraded. The leveling kit on my truck required a block in the back to keep it from sagging under a load and for the most part it appears level.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I've got a new silverado with a leveling kit and 295-18 tires they are actually 34.5", it will dip a little in the rear when pulling a LOAD but it's not any worse than a stock ride. My gas milage actually increased from 14 to 16mpg. I've talked to several people,same results. With the six speed trans, it's not running in and out of OD

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
I've got a new silverado with a leveling kit and 295-18 tires they are actually 34.5", it will dip a little in the rear when pulling a LOAD but it's not any worse than a stock ride. My gas milage actually increased from 14 to 16mpg. I've talked to several people,same results. With the six speed trans, it's not running in and out of OD
Did you recalibrate your speedometer if not you will have a false reading

·
Member<br>The Member Formerly Known as Passthrough
7,658 Posts
I think a nice set of tires goes along way, no lift needed. I put some 275/70/18 BFG AT tires on my ford and it really helped the looks compared to the factory tires. I'm cheap though, no way I could intentionally pay for something that was gonna lower my resale value. Maybe I would do leveling kit, certainly not a lift

·
Super Moderator
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great greenhead. I will still be running my 18" tires for now. Was that a 2" leveling kit?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Full credit it is a 2". No rubbing issues at all. First set of toyo mt I have owned and loving every minute of them. The interior is the quietest I have ever had.

·
Super Moderator
13,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Real-life application of geometry! Measure the circumference of stock tire. Compare it to circumference of larger tire. If larger tire is 10% bigger, add 10% to indicated speed. In this case, if the speedometer says 50 mph, you're actually going 55. If it says 70 mph, you're going 77. It varies with speed. Simple geometry. And you thought you'd never use that kind if math!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts