Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the cover off my boat a couple of days ago and noticed a fishy odor. My center console came with a nice Orca cooler. The lid was down, so I opened the lid and was hit with about the worse odor I’ve ever smelled ( and I’m in medicine and have had to do some things that would make most people puke).
The last time I took the boat out I had a bag of frozen shrimp in the cooler in case the redfish wouldn’t hit lures. I forgot to empty the cooler when I got home, and it had been in there marinating in the south Texas heat for a month 🤢🤢🤢.

So far I’ve washed it and let it sit overnight in a strong mixture of simple green/water, I’ve sprayed it Odoban at least 10 times ( helped some, but still reeks). I left it sitting open in the sun airing out today. At the moment it’s soaking in a strong bleach water mix.

I usually use the cooler for snacks/drinks, but not sure I could eat anything out of it unless I can eradicate the smell. Words cannot express how strongly this thing reeks. 🤮🤮🤮

I hate to throw away a $300 cooler, but it’s not usable as is.

Anyone got any tips?

·
Premium Member
14,994 Posts
Yeah, bleach and sunlight. An open box of Arm and Hammer baking soda in there would help too.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already filled it up with about a quart of bleach /the rest water and closed the lid so the water is touching everything a couple of hours ago . I’ll let it soak overnight then drain it and put it in the sun again tomorrow. Hope you guys are right about the bleach. Guess I can try spraying straight bleach on it if that doesn’t work.

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
Baking soda and vinegar

Pour a gallon of vinegar in the cooler then add full box of baking soda, wait for foaming action stops, stir it up really well and close the lid but leave crack so air can escape. Give it a day or so. It may take 2x.

I’ve bought several deep freezers that had foul odor and this has worked well for me

·
Premium Member
14,994 Posts
Baking soda and vinegar

Pour a gallon of vinegar in the cooler then add full box of baking soda, wait for foaming action stops, stir it up really well and close the lid but leave crack so air can escape. Give it a day or so. It may take 2x.

I’ve bought several deep freezers that had foul odor and this has worked well for me
Listen to this man. In his business, he knows stink!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Put two gallons of bleach and fill up with water let it sit for 3 days then drain and scrub with the blue dawn dish soap rinse then put in three gallon of vinegar and fill up with water let soak for 2 days then it’s good to go

·
Registered
27,453 Posts
Cotton balls. Soak them in vanilla. Put in, close lid. Wait.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have used coffee grounds numerous times. Leave for a week, throw old grounds away. No damage to any materials I have used it on. It is surprisingly efficient.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I have used coffee grounds numerous times. Leave for a week, throw old grounds away. No damage to any materials I have used it on. It is surprisingly efficient.
If it makes it smell like coffee, I think I would prefer the marinated shrimp odor.
I’ve always heard that ice water will help draw odors so that would be at least one cheap trick to try.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Years ago my wife’s useless friend moved in with us and she had a cooler she had recently used for jungle juice at a party. Unbeknownst to me she didn’t clean it out and it sat outside until i found the surprise of fermenting fruit in vodka. Rinsed it with bleach and let it sit outside for a couple weeks with the lid open. Cleared it right up.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts